Multiple GPS sources

lr172

Multiple GPS sources

Post by lr172 »

I am in the planning stages for installing my HXr system. I will be integrating both a 396 and a KLN-90B GPS. As I am reading the Setup manual, it seems that I can only install two GPS'. However, it appears that in order to use the internal flight planning of the HXR, one of the 2 GPS must be a virtual based off the first external GPS. AM I understanding that correctly? I would like to be able to navigate with flight plans in the 396 at times, as well as the KLN-90 and internal HXr navigation. Is it possible to have 2 external GPS sources plus still be able to create flight plans internal to the HXr?

I assume that I need an "internal" GPS in order to set up a flight plan. Am I also required to have an "internal" configured in order to arm an SAP approach?

Thanks,

Larry
GRT_Jeff

Re: Multiple GPS sources

Post by GRT_Jeff »

GPS1 and GPS2 can be internal or external, but that is decided in the SET MENU. Normally if the GPS units have their own flight plan functions you would set them to External and the HXr would automatically use them. It's also possible to Copy the external plan to the internal one. If you really wanted to, you could go into the SET MENU at any time and change a GPS between Internal and External. You would never use the Virtual GPS2 option with two real GPS units.

The SAP function works for any flight plan, internal or external, where the destination airport has runway coordinates in our database.
lr172

Post by lr172 »

Thanks Jeff. Just a quick clarification. If I both GPS's are set for external, can I still create and use an internal flight plan? I understand that I can copy the external, but want to be sure that I could put a flight plan directly into the HXr, eventhough both GPS's are set for external.

Larry
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You would have to set one of the GPS Flight Plan Sources as Internal to actually drive the indicators, autopilot/flight director functions, and waypoint graphics from the internal plan when that GPS is selected.
Sportsman

Post by Sportsman »

For clarification... Our setup includes a GNS480, Garmin 396 (soon to be updated) and the Adaptive AHARS with GNSS function. At the moment I have all 3 GPS receivers wired to the EFIS but of course can't select all three at the same time.

From my understanding the GNSS MUST be configured as "INTERNAL", the GNS480 as EXTERNAL and the 396 is essentially relegated to "useless information" category since I can't display a 3rd GPS pointer.

Is this correct?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Sportsman wrote:From my understanding the GNSS MUST be configured as "INTERNAL", the GNS480 as EXTERNAL and the 396 is essentially relegated to "useless information" category since I can't display a 3rd GPS pointer.
Correct.