Nav Selection

Bayou Bert

Nav Selection

Post by Bayou Bert »

I am finally getting around to checking out the VOR receiver on the HXr.
Not in flight but on the ground, when I push the CDI/OBS button I am not given a NAV
button to push. I get two choices GPS650-1 and GPS2. Is that because my nav radio
is in the 650? Under the Bearing keys I have both GPS's and a nav button.
So if I tune the 650 nav to a vor without setting one of the bearing indicators I am only
going to see the GPS? If I set Bearing 1 to nav, will I then see the VOR?

Appreciate any help, the documentation is kind of light on this, I have read it all.

Thanks
Bert
Bobturner

Re: Nav Selection

Post by Bobturner »

I do not have a 650 but I think I know how this works.
On the 650, push the cdi icon. Now touching some symbol there will toggle the 650 to nav; touch again and it goes back to gps; touch again and it goes to nav... You should see 'gps' or 'vloc' at the bottom of the screen.
Now on the EFIS, there are two set up options. If you set it up (in the setup menu) to auto switch, then the EFIS will automatically follow the cdi selection on the 650. If you did not choose this option in the EFIS set up menu, then you must manually select the nav source-"nav" for VOR or LOC, "GPS" for GPS.
Bayou Bert

Post by Bayou Bert »

Thanks Bob, you were right, hitting thr CDI button on 650 switched the HSI to the
VLOC indicator on the HXr.
One other question, when I switch, does that mean the 650 is not sending a GPS signal
To the EFIS?

Thanks
Bert
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

The 650 is always sending the GPS data to the EFIS. What you are selecting is the primary nav to be displayed and used (for the autopilot, for example). In setting up your HSI display, you should select 'bearing pointers on' or something like that. You can choose to show the whole arrow or just the nose and tail (recommended). So: say you have the 650's nav set to a vor or localizer, while the GPS is set to direct ABC. Toggle the 650 to vloc. The vor or loc will show on the HSIs main cdi bar, while a purple arrow head will point to ABC. Toggle the 650 to GPS. Now the course deviation to ABC will show on the CDI deviation bar, while a green bearing pointer will point to the vor (if you have a loc dialed in this won't work since Loc signals don't have bearing info).
Edit. I got the color coding all wrong above. The GPS bearing pointer (also called an RMI needle, for remote magnetic indicator) is green, not purple. An RMI needle set to nav 1 VOR is white, not green. If you have a second VOR (I do, since the SL30 can output data for both the "active" and "standby" VOR frequencies) then that RMI will be purple.