touch screen

TONYBISHOP

touch screen

Post by TONYBISHOP »

Has anyone received and tried the touchscreen yet? Still waiting for my 8.4"....
Trunk

Re: touch screen

Post by Trunk »

Yes, 8.4 is installed and works fantastic. touch works good but the EFIS is so easy to use with buttons and knobs it really isnt necessary.
Airdog

Post by Airdog »

I have mine fired up (still building/not flying) and love it. :D It's nice to be able to scroll/slew the maps around and then have them snap back to center like an iPad, especially if you have the Seattle Avionics chart data. Also, tapping a specific airport/navaid/fix to get info seems a bit more efficient then scrolling from item to item using the knob. In the near future I plan on having a remote com radio and transponder hooked up to it and understand there is some cool touchscreen control features for those as well. Plus, as with all GRT products their capabilities tend to expand/improve over time.
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

Is there a guide showing the incremental features of the touch screen? I have two and I see the changes to the autopilot settings, but not much else. That said, I don't know what I should be experiencing. One BIG GAP: should be able to enter numbers via key pad (aka: not have use knobs for radio frequencies, etc.).
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

We don't have a manual or other demo for the touchscreen functions. The current functions are: moving the map around by dragging, touching airports and waypoints on the map to get details or add/remove from the flight plan, modifying the leg between waypoints by dragging, and the autopilot touch control panel.
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

Please take to the product manager:

Story:
"As an end user, I want to be able to enter text and number entries via touch interactions with the touch-enabled screen"

Discussion:
"From a task management perspective during flight and on the ground, entering text and numbers via knob is literally the most problematic and time consuming aspect of interacting with the EFIS. This is one of the reasons why other platforms, such as with Dynon, focus on data entry efficiency and not secondary features, such as drag and drop. For instance, how one enters waypoints with Dynon's touch systems (flight plans) is not through dial (but one can), but through touch keyboard. This is far, far more effective and faster than a map view or entry via dial. This also needs to be enabled for numerical entry, such as nav/com radio."

Clear Examples:
http://dynonavionics.com/public_html/ya ... yboard.jpg
http://www.dynonavionics.com/certified/ ... isplay.jpg

This is more or less what you have done (though Dynon's graphical implementation is cleaner):
http://www.dynonavionics.com/certified/ ... isplay.jpg
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

I strongly disagree. For in flight use by a single pilot, speed is less important than safety. I have yet to find a touchscreen data entry that does not require significant heads down time. In contrast, one can grab a knob and turn it by feel, while scanning for traffic. A quick glance tells you if you’ve turned too far or not enough; you return to outside while turning the knob some more; etc. Perhaps a bit slower than a touchscreen, but total consecutive seconds not scanning for traffic is far less.
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

One should not read the above as being a request for exclusive means to enter info. Both means should be there. Using a dial to find "5" is, for many of us, way more tedious than hitting "5" on a standard layout keypad on the screen. Just setting up the EFIS, for instance, would have been much faster if I could just type N123N than dialing it in.