Backup Battery Voltage

Bayou Bert

Backup Battery Voltage

Post by Bayou Bert »

I have the new TCW backup battery, the new 6 amp model, they don't make the 4 amp model I currently have in place.
It is toast.
The new one has a line for reading the voltage of the backup battery.
How do I get that to the EFIS and display it all the time. I have the HXr and the EIS 4000.

Thanks
Bert
GRT_Jeff

Re: Backup Battery Voltage

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You can configure one of the 8 analog inputs on the HXr to read a voltage:

Analog # Function: Aux (EIS compatible)
Analog # Internal Pull-Up: Off
Analog # Scale Factor: 25
Analog # Offset: 0
Analog # Sensing: Forward
Analog # Integer/Decimal: Decimal
Analog # Aux Function: Aux
Analog # Aux Name: (Give this input a name for alarms and bar graphs)
Optional:
Analog # Remote Channel: (pick an unused channel 1-16 if you want to send this input to another display)

Then you can configure a data box or bar graph to show this input by selecting the Aux Name you entered. You can also check the voltage in SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, Analog Inputs.

The analog inputs are on pins B-14 through B-21 in reverse order. Analog Input 1 is on pin B-21. Analog Input 8 is on pin B-14.
Bayou Bert

Post by Bayou Bert »

Thanks Jeff, sure appreciate the help.
Bert
Bayou Bert

Amp Draw

Post by Bayou Bert »

Jeff, if I could get just a bit more info.
What does the 10" HXr draw in amps when up and running?
What does the AHRS draw in amps when up and running?
Reason, I have the HXr and #1 AHRS on the backup battery buss.
With the new battery I am considering adding my second comm to the buss.

Thanks
Bert
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The 10.4" HXr can use 2.5A at 12.0V at full brightness and full load.

The AHRS uses up to 0.2A normally, max 0.5A.
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

Using VPX for amps, not an actual dmm.
Just on a screen, not full load.

HXR + AHRS
Dim 1.1A - 1.0A
Full 2.1A - 2.0A
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

Jeff,

There is a warning analog out on the IBBS as well - spec:
The IBBS unit has a low voltage warning output, pin 3. This pin may be used to drive an LED indicator or to provide a digital signal to indicate the main input bus is in a low voltage condition. When the main input bus (connected to pin 5) falls below about 11 volts this output will drive to a low state. Maximum current sourced on this pin is 25 milliamps.
What would we change to the analog settings to accommodate the above? Same settings, or a different scale factor?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

bd4c wrote:There is a warning analog out on the IBBS as well - spec:
The IBBS unit has a low voltage warning output, pin 3. This pin may be used to drive an LED indicator or to provide a digital signal to indicate the main input bus is in a low voltage condition. When the main input bus (connected to pin 5) falls below about 11 volts this output will drive to a low state. Maximum current sourced on this pin is 25 milliamps.
What would we change to the analog settings to accommodate the above? Same settings, or a different scale factor?
It sounds like this warning output does not provide the high voltage so you need a pull-up somewhere in the circuit. The settings would be the same except you would need to set the Internal Pull-Up to On. The exact value you get will not be important. If you use the internal pull-up, which is 10-12V, you could consider more than 5 volts as good and less than 5 volts the "low voltage warning" state. Set the Min alarm limit to somewhere between 2.0 and 5.0. The high voltage could vary depending on the circuit but the voltage should drop all the way to zero in the low state.