Lean Program

Bayou Bert

Lean Program

Post by Bayou Bert »

Getting around to learning how to use the Lean program.
So if I climb to 7K and start the lean function and lean to something LOP.
Now I decide to climb to 10K, when I get there do I need to turn off the program and
start again or just leave it running during the climb to 10K?

Thanks for any help.

Bert
GRT_Jeff

Re: Lean Program

Post by GRT_Jeff »

While in lean mode, the EFIS will continue tracking changes in the peaks and how many degrees you are below them. It will not reset the first-to-peak or last-to-peak indicators. If you need to reset anything, you have to push the LEAN RESET button on the ENGINE menu or turn lean mode off and back on.
Bayou Bert

Post by Bayou Bert »

Thanks Jeff but I asked the question ass backwards.
If I climb to say 6K and then lean to 50 LOP and then decide to climb to
say 7K. If I don't touch the mixture, as I climb the engine will go richer due
to the air getting thinner. The -50 of say #4 should start to go toward backwards
toward peak as the cylinder gets richer, until it goes to the other side of peak and
the temps show up.
So I guess what I was asking is once I start the program at 6K I should be able to leave
it on as I continue to climb and just simply lean more to the minus number I want.
Sound right?

Thanks
Bert
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I can only answer the technical side of what the EFIS is going to do. I'll have to leave the leaning knowledge and experience to someone else, and I don't have anyone to ask at the moment.

The EFIS will show negative numbers on both sides of peak. It does not indicate what side of peak each EGT is on.

The EFIS will automatically reset the peak value if and only if the cylinder exceeds the previous peak. If something else affects the peak EGT temperature and you are trying to reach a specific number of degrees from peak, it would become inaccurate.

So, if the conditions mean the EGT's peak does not change, then you could simply readjust the mixture while paying attention to what side of peak you're on. If anything else has happened to change the peak, then you need to reset the lean function to get the new peak.
Ivan Kristensen

Post by Ivan Kristensen »

Bert,
You present a very good question. Here is what I have found, if I am climbing from 6-7000 ft. and providing I leave my power settings alone then I haven't found it necessary to reset the lean feature. On the other hand, when the climb has to continue by 2000' or more then you much better of to richen the engine and use climb power (typically 2500 rpm and full MAP above 5000') and then re-lean after cruise power has be set.
Ivan Kristensen
RV-10 C-GMDV
Home base (CYKF) Waterloo Regional, Ontario Canada