TruTrak interface with HXr

glk0346

TruTrak interface with HXr

Post by glk0346 »

My TruTrak Vision 385 autopilot wiring diagram shows 2 RS232 serial port connections with my HXr, one is NMEA data input to pin No. 17 on the TruTrak connector and the other is output data from pin No. 7 but doesn't define the exported data.

How do I configure my HXr serial port for these data (i'm going to use either HXr serial port 6 or 8) to pin No. 7 on my TruTrak?

I have the requisite ARINC 429 ports available via the 429 expander module.

Your comments and or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

glk1968
GRT_Jeff

Re: TruTrak interface with HXr

Post by GRT_Jeff »

We have never used the RS232 output of the TruTrak. There was a possibility of controlling the TruTrak modes remotely and receiving status data at one point a few years ago but that was never implemented. Where do you see this?
glk0346

Post by glk0346 »

Jeff,

The Vision 380/385 Install Manual, Rev 8, Page 5, states the following for this connection: "RS 232 Output for G3X/AFS-5000 Connector, Vision 385 Only"

I had intended to disregard this connection but thought I'd get clarification before I proceeded with final installation.

George
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I see that. It probably works with the G3X and AFS-5000 but it doesn't work with the HXr or any of our EFIS models and we don't currently have plans to implement it.
glk0346

Post by glk0346 »

Thanks for the clarification.

George
glk0346

Post by glk0346 »

Re TruTrak interface with HXr via ARINC 429 External Module. Under "Configuring the EFIS"

1. "General Setup Pages", Set ARINC Module Connected to "Yes"

This does not appear in HXr General Setup procedures, but is integral to HX. How do I configure my HXr to interface with the ARINC 429 module?

2. "The ARINC 429 module also provides a serial input and output. This port is configured on the General Setup Pages and is serial port 4. It replaces the serial port used by the ARINC Module."

What does this mean?

3. Nothing in this para tells me how to configure the port, e.g. Suggested Value. I assume it should be "Autopilot NMEA 0183" format. On the other hand, the TruTrak Vision 385 has a dedicated RS 232 serial port for NMEA 0183 data for which I have already wired via my HXr serial port 8 OUT and set the suggested value to NMEA 0183. Therefore, what is the purpose of serial 4 input and output?

Any recommendations and or comments would be greatly appreciated.

George

[/size]
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Our original EFIS and many of our current models do not have built-in ARINC-429, they use an external box that we call the "ARINC module". The HX and HXr have built-in ARINC-429 interfaces.

1. The ARINC-429 interface is always connected and always enabled on the HX and HXr, so there is no "Connected" setting.

2. This doesn't apply to the built-in ARINC-429 interfaces. (The external module connects to the display with serial and has a general-purpose pass-thru serial port.)

3. The references to serial port 4 are for external modules and the original Sport WS/HS EFIS. The external ARINC module connected to Sport WS and Sport HS units via Serial Port 4. There is no serial port to configure for the ARINC-429 interface on an HX/HXr. It is always connected and always enabled. You can enable the Autopilot NMEA0183 output on any serial port output to send GPS data to the TruTrak's NMEA0183 input.
glk0346

Post by glk0346 »

Jeff,

Forgive me for being a little obtuse but your response is in need of further clarification as it really does't answer the mail and your line of thinking isn't clear. Several points I wish to make:

1. I know the HXr and HX have built-in ARINC 429 interfaces. That is not the issue.The issue is connecting the External ARINC 429 Module to the HXr EFIS.

2.Your comment: "The ARINC- 429 interface is always connected and always enabled on the HX and HXr, so there is no 'Connected' setting."

I beg to differ. The HX -HS-WS Setup Manual (because no HXr Setup manual exists) directs the user to go to the HX EFIS and access the Setup Menu and under General Settings, directs the user to go the "ARINC External Module Connected: YES or NO. I don't have a HX so I cannot actually go to the setup menu to see if this true; but clearly your manual says it exists. So, if it exists in the HX, why doesn't it exist in the HXr? . How does the HXr know an external ARINC 429 module is connected? And if it is connected via serial port, as you state, which port (Serial Port 4 on the HXr is dedicated to the EIS); and equally important, how is that port configured to communicate with the the external module?

2. Your comment: "This doesn't apply to the built-in ARINC-429 interfaces. (The external module connects to the display with serial and has a general-purpose pass-thru serial port.)"

See my previous comments.

I purchased GRT's ARINC 429 external module to affect directional steering commands to my TruTrak. So I need to know how to take advantage of the TruTrak capabilities.

George
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

The HS model needs the external ARINC box. The HX (and the HXr-their software are nearly identical) has ARINC built in. So the question is: Why aren’t you using the internal (connector C) ARINC? I cannot speak for GRT but I imagine they left out the software commands you’re asking about because they never envisioned an HXr user adding the external ARINC module.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The HX-HS-WS manual contains some information that only applies to the older WS/HS models. WS/HS models use the external ARINC module. The WS, HS, EX, Mini-AP, and future units use the external ARINC module. The DB9 connector on the back of every HX and HXr is the ARINC-429 interface. This connector is described in the HXr Installation Manual. If you purchased an external ARINC-429 module for an HX or HXr, that is a mistake and you should return it. Your HXr and every HX and HXr already have ARINC-429 on the DB9 connector. It is not possible to use an external ARINC module with an HX or HXr because they only support the ARINC-429 that's already built-in.