Selectable Appr & GPS G/P deviation display

Clam

Selectable Appr & GPS G/P deviation display

Post by Clam »

Happy New Year folks.
I am configuring an HXr system for IFR use after about a year of not using those functions much. I am experiencing the following issues. Any ideas for solution?

System: single HXr, 7.02proc6 software, current nav db cycle, 430W with current nav db

1. When selecting an approach from the HXr, the only approaches that appear for selection are GPS approaches. ILS, VOR, etc do not appear for selection. All approaches appear in the 430W and will push to the HXr flight plan if I set “Flight plan to external”, but I cannot see them in the HXr list of approaches.

2. When flying GPS approaches that should display vertical deviations, I am only getting lateral deviation display. I have the “Show GPS on Loc/ILS” selected. I flew published altitudes and thus approached the glide path from below.

Thanks.
Jeff
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Bobturner

Re: Selectable Appr & GPS G/P deviation display

Post by Bobturner »

re #2. What does the 430 annunciate? Does it say ‘LPV’? I have seen some confusion where there is a long straight in segment from the IAF, with step-down fixes leading to the FAF. During the step down segment, the 430 will say ‘terminal’ mode, and there will be no glide slope. Just prior to the FAF, the 430 should display ‘LPV’ and the GS needle should come alive. Is this what’s happening?
Clam

Post by Clam »

Bobturner wrote:re #2. What does the 430 annunciate? Does it say ‘LPV’? I have seen some confusion where there is a long straight in segment from the IAF, with step-down fixes leading to the FAF. During the step down segment, the 430 will say ‘terminal’ mode, and there will be no glide slope. Just prior to the FAF, the 430 should display ‘LPV’ and the GS needle should come alive. Is this what’s happening?
The 430W indicated LPV and Term. I leveled off well prior to FAF and approached the glide slope from below. The GS needle never came alive.

However, I need to attempt some more approaches and take some better notes. After watching Widget's video series today, I believe it could be user error as I EXECUTED the approach prior to the procedure turn. I think this caused the HXr to switch to ENAV mode. Then, rather than turn for proper entry into the procedure turn, the A/P flew the aircraft the opposite direction which was the shortest direction back to the final approach course. It must have been in ENAV and I didn't catch it. I then disconnected the A/P, flew the airplane back around the procedure turn to the inbound course.

All that said, I still expected to get a GS. I will re-fly the approaches beginning with shallow intercept vectors and then move back to full procedure turns and take detailed notes of the flight mode annunciators... and delay "EXECUTE" until established inbound.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The built-in approaches on the HXr proc software and database are a separate function from the Garmin. If you are trying to fly an approach from the Garmin, do not load the approach on the HXr. You should have the HXr follow the external flight plan and use the ARM function to capture the approach when ready to fly down the final straight approach path. If the Garmin sequences to the FAF on an LPV approach you should see the vertical deviation indicator if you're also seeing a lateral "GPS" indicator. You might also want to check the 430W's MAIN ARINC 429 settings and make sure VNAV Labels are Enabled.

The built-in HXr approach "Proc" database only uses our database and ours does not contain all non-GPS approaches. It is an FAA database and they are still working on it. I would have to look up the ones you're trying to use to see if they mention that they aren't included yet or if there's some exception to why the EFIS won't list them. The EFIS also won't list an approach it can't understand or completely load.
Clam

Post by Clam »

GRT_Jeff wrote:The built-in approaches on the HXr proc software and database are a separate function from the Garmin. If you are trying to fly an approach from the Garmin, do not load the approach on the HXr. You should have the HXr follow the external flight plan and use the ARM function to capture the approach when ready to fly down the final straight approach path. If the Garmin sequences to the FAF on an LPV approach you should see the vertical deviation indicator if you're also seeing a lateral "GPS" indicator. You might also want to check the 430W's MAIN ARINC 429 settings and make sure VNAV Labels are Enabled.

The built-in HXr approach "Proc" database only uses our database and ours does not contain all non-GPS approaches. It is an FAA database and they are still working on it. I would have to look up the ones you're trying to use to see if they mention that they aren't included yet or if there's some exception to why the EFIS won't list them. The EFIS also won't list an approach it can't understand or completely load.

Thanks Jeff and Bob. I use the "external flight" plan setting so I am not typically loading an approach from the HXr. On occasion I will though, and that's how I noticed there are many approaches missing. I am reloading the 7.02-proc 6 sw anyway and then I will check again.

Is there a place I can check to see which approaches aren't included or is that something you would have to do?

On my other difficulties regarding displaying the approach information properly, I recheck everything against the HXr GNS 430/530 Supplement. Although I have not flown yet, all ground checks appear satisfactory now. This includes displaying the 430W self-test on the HXr (even the flight director bank tests display!), the GPS CDI with an active leg, the GPS OBS course without an active go to waypoint, etc etc.

Everything now seems to indicate properly, so a flight check is next.

I don't know which setting solved my issues, but here is a list of settings I changed. I suspect it was mostly the first 3.
-HXr SDI was "common", is now "LNAV 1"
-HXr analog VOR/ILS was not "OFF", it is "OFF" now (I am wired to only AIRINC)
-430W SDI was "common", is now "VOR/ILS 1"
-430W DME CHNL was "NARCO 890", is now "Parallel 2x5"

What is SDI anyway? Not sure what role that plays.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The list is part of the FAA's CIFP (Coded Instrument Flight Procedures) database. You can download this database yourself if you want and check the documents about included approaches, however that doesn't tell the whole story. It is possible our GRT database builder or the EFIS is rejecting it for some other reason. For that I would have to look at our build process and the EFIS software for the exact reason.

The SDI is used if you have more than one EFIS/GPS/NAV wired into the ARINC-429 connections. The EFIS always sends "common" SDI (0) and doesn't check the SDI on received data. I've had one or two customers say they needed to change it in the GPS but I don't know why.