Long Boot up time in cold weather

kwiatkma

Long Boot up time in cold weather

Post by kwiatkma »

Does anyone else see long boot up times in cold weather? I've gone to the airport twice now over the winter to fly(low teens overnight with 30's during the day). Each time I power on the HXr only to get a black screen without boot up. I power cycle a couple times and then it will boot, but it seems that it won't boot until a couple minutes of power has been applied...aonce booted it runs fine the entire flight.

Any what I mean by boot up is I don't even see the BIOS boot screen, I can see that the EFIS is getting power but nothing happens.

Any thoughts? Just started happening with the cold. When the EFIS boots and loads all is well and no low voltage warnings or anything. So I'm stumped. I do have redundant power Main bus and backup battery, it seems I have to power cycle both together to get the EFIS to finally boot.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Long Boot up time in cold weather

Post by GRT_Jeff »

It's possible that some component in your HXr is out of tolerance at the very low temperature, and after power runs through it, the component warms up enough to work again. Recently we've found some main processors are not booting reliably in the extreme cold, including an HXr that came in for repair today. You can send it in for repair, and we will test it with our freezer and change parts to fix it.
jbasol

Post by jbasol »

I have had this same problem with one of my HX screens. The suggestion I got when calling about it was to try rebooting with the softkeys (far left and far right together). That didn't resolve it either. It seems it is definitely something that takes a little warming from electrons to jar it into operation. After a few minutes of sitting on at a black screen (no BIOS post), a softkey reboot will snap it to life. Could be a canard thing I guess. ;)

-John
Cozy MKIV
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

Would that be a warranty repair? I might think about it since weather in IL is crappy right now. Interesting another canard has a similar problem. Maybe too cold without one of those engines up front! :P
gdtrfb58

Post by gdtrfb58 »

Interesting- I have the exact same behavior, and it is summer time! (Also a Canard!)