HXr and Garmin GNC 255A

psychose

HXr and Garmin GNC 255A

Post by psychose »

Can the 255A be tuned like the SL30? At this point, I can display the GNC 255A com and nav frequencies on the HXr but cannot tune the GNC 255A via the EFIS.

I also have linked the GNC to the HXr via the ARINC 429 connection. Are there other ports that need to be connected in order to display the GNC's VOR and ILS information on EFIS?

Thanks,

Normand RV8 Finishing
GRT_Jeff

Re: HXr and Garmin GNC 255A

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The 255 should work just like an SL30, and you shouldn't need the ARINC connection (the SL30 doesn't have ARINC). If you have more than one EFIS screen, do not connect more than one screen output to the 255. An input can only connect to one output.
psychose

Post by psychose »

Hello Jeff,

The GNC 255A does have an ARINC 429 output, as well as a RS232 input and output. I have all of them wired to the HXr. I will re-check connections and settings in the GNC and HXr and get back to you if I still have problems. I'm still building so it will be difficult to check the VOR/ILS indications until I'm flying. For your information, my set-up is with a single HXr display.

Thanks for your response.

Normand
psychose

Post by psychose »

Hello Jeff,

After re-re-re-checking my wiring, I did find a glitch with the RS232 connection to the EFIS, now corrected. The GNC interface now works as advertised.

When looking at the ARINC serial counters, I get indications of transmission on Channel 1 but nothing on Channel 2. The EFIS confirms the Com and Nav frequencies dialled into the GNC 255. Is this normal?

Thanks again,

Normand RV8 Finishing
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The ARINC channels are two physically separate inputs. A NAV unit only uses one. A NAV/GPS unit like the 430W would use both, one for VOR/LOC/GS and one for GPS.
psychose

Post by psychose »

Thanks Jeff. Just what I needed to hear, so everything appears to be working properly :)

Normand RV8 Finishing