Custom waypoint input?

kwiatkma

Custom waypoint input?

Post by kwiatkma »

Hello! I'm a SARL member (sport air racing league) and I would like to know if the here is a way pre-load custom waypoints into the HXr? For example the race turn points are given in lat/long and want to know if there is an app (android GRT app?) that can help in this? Or is there something else I could use to preload the waypoints then put them on the USB and then have the custom flight plan for a race?

I see another thread about this...but all of these waypoints are custom....they are not an airport or VOR, they are the corner of a barn or lake, end of a runway, water tower, etc. I don't see how to put in a whole flight plan of custom waypoints.

Here is a link to an example:
http://sportairrace.org/sarl/node/1094

Thanks in advance!
GRT_Jeff

Re: Custom waypoint input?

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If you just want to use them in a flight plan, the waypoints don't have to exist in the database. All the flight plan import formats include latitude, longitude, and identifier. The EFIS uses the data provided in the file to locate and display the waypoints. Here's an example of a GPX file with the start and turn 1 waypoints. The NAME line sets the waypoint identifier, up to 5 letters or numbers. Waypoint identifiers must be unique unless they are the exact same point. The EFIS currently ignores the CMT lines, but I've included them for more information. Other GPS units might display them. The coordinates in the GPX file are in decimal degrees, positive for north, negative for west.

Code: Select all

<gpx>
<rte>
<rtept lat="30.551183" lon="-97.482817">
<name>START</name>
<cmt>START at Hutto Water Tower</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="30.538233" lon="-97.418650">
<name>TURN1</name>
<cmt>Turn 1 at Macho Grande Hangar</cmt>
</rtept>
</rte>
</gpx>
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

Jeff,

So I would create the GPX file via ?notepad? Save to the USB then upload via an HXr command?

The file format makes sense, but not sure what to name the file? And just use the flight plan upload function? Or if the file is the correct name and location will it automatically see the way points/plan to upload?

Thanks for walking me through it!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Yes, you can use any plain text file editor like Notepad. Use the Import function on the lower right knob of the FLIGHT PLAN (FLT PLAN) page. It will let you select any file. The import function will replace your active flight plan with the list of waypoints in the file.
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

Thanks Jeff!
jpfli

Post by jpfli »

I have no experience with this product however recalled that it can export flight plans in GPX format.

http://www.iflightplanner.com