Manual updates?

SteveRV7a

Manual updates?

Post by SteveRV7a »

GRT,
What is the plan for an updated HX manual? I would love an updated version!
Cheers,
Steve Houghton
katieb

Re: Manual updates?

Post by katieb »

You're funny, I just answered this on VAF! Thanks for the compliments over there...

Right now the main priority is finishing all the HXr manuals. I'd love to create a new user manual for both HX and Sport that shows how to use all their newer features. We'll see what happens in the coming months. (Stay tuned!)
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Katie,

Not just for a manual update, but also for your advertising department:

The current manual has no references to an HX - HS combo, which imho is a great, cost effective system.
E.g., manual needs to mention that the HX can send xm weather over to the HS via a high speed serial line.

Also when you get to it, there is no mention of the fact that the HX analog inputs have built in, software selectable (on/off) pull down resistors. Be nice to know their values, too!

Bob
katieb

Post by katieb »

Thanks Bob, I will add your notes to my file for manual update ideas. I'm still learning what these systems are capable of...
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
GRT Pilot Since 2008
SteveRV7a

Training options?

Post by SteveRV7a »

Katie,
What are the options for learning about all the HX capabilities and functions. I have read the manual multiple times and have played with the system while on the ground. Despite this I get the feeling that I am only scratching the surface of the capabilities of the system. I have visited GRT several times (I live in Lansing) and reviewed things with Carlos. Any options for some type of class or training sessions?
Thanks again,
Steve Houghton
katieb

Post by katieb »

I think a class or seminar is a wonderful idea. I don't have the time right now, but it's on the far horizon if I can catch up on the user documentation.

In the meantime, probably the best thing to do will be to lurk around on the forum here and pick up new ideas for what the system can do. As Jeff creates new software features, I'll post them on the home page. The new user manuals will go into more detail about using specific features. I have about 400 hours flying Sports and I've been working here since October, but I still often find myself saying "Seriously, it can do THAT too??"

I used to tell new LSA customers that it seems like a lot of info (and it is), but just concentrate on the primary flight instruments at first, then explore the different screen views (Map, Engine). Fly locally and work your way up to the flight planning features gradually. Know how to switch between PFD, Map and ENG screens. Know where your airspeed, altitude, heading, RPM, oil pressure and oil temperature are. You can fly it safely in VFR without knowing every detail. (Obviously I flew 400 hours all over the country without knowing HALF the details!) The more you fly, the more you will learn.
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
GRT Pilot Since 2008
hotwheels

Post by hotwheels »

OSH would be a great place to have training. Then maybe post to youtube for the masses...

Ditto on the analog pull downs. There's a lot of tribal knowledge that's not captured in the manuals at present or is so scattered about that it's tough to find. Been there and done that on the writing side... it's not easy and takes time to turn out something that is complete and flows.

Cheers,
Jay
APACHE 56

Post by APACHE 56 »

How about a webinar?
Don