Upgrade my current Sport or go to HX?

gmohr

Upgrade my current Sport or go to HX?

Post by gmohr »

I have a GRT Sport that was installed in late 2007 and it serves it's purpose very well. I would like to upgrade to the 8.4" or
larger along with Synthetic Vision. Curious as to cost and benefits of one over the other.

Thanks!
Gene Mohr
SFC(R) US Army
S17 Twin Lakes Airport
GRTBen

Re: Upgrade my current Sport or go to HX?

Post by GRTBen »

The costs can be found on the website for the different upgrade you can choose from.
http://grtavionics.com/Upgrades%20Fixed.pdf

The benefits that you would see depend on the type of flying you do with your plane. With the HX having the 30 mile synthetic vision is nice when you are doing a lot of mountain flying. Having the 3-4 extra serial ports is nice when you are trying to connect all of the newer avionics that are on the market.

Although if all you are going to do is upgrade the efis and not much else in the panel, you may want to spend all the extra money you would have by just upgrading your sport to use on gas money.

To many choices.
GRTBen
Tech Support
GRT Avionics
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Ben,

Thanks for the reply and the link. Even just upgrading the Sport to 8.4 with Synthetic Vision would be good. I am
a day VFR Light Sport Pilot and I have several upgrades I would like to make to include the above and auto pilot.
I know..all it takes is time and money... I have time and a "little" money! :lol:
Gene Mohr
SFC(R) US Army
S17 Twin Lakes Airport
N283S

Post by N283S »

Gene,
I currently own an 8.4" sport with synthetic vision. It is just outstanding. In my RV-7 the GRT is my primary efis and a small dynon (sorry) d10 is way over on the right side to give the passengers something to "play" with. But, if I had it all to do over again, I would have extended the top-bottom width of the instrument panel to have the room required for two small grt displays. I find myself constantly punching the engine page then punching the map or pfd page. There are just some things on the engine page that can't be included on the map or pfd page. This causes my efis to be an even more of a heads-down display. Maybe, one more thing to consider.
ymmv.

Steve
RV-7