Green Arc on Map Screen

Jerry Schneider

Green Arc on Map Screen

Post by Jerry Schneider »

Ok. I give up.

When viewing the Map Page, what does the green arc which resembles a sonar screen ping signify?

TIA.
Jerry Schneider
Cozy MKIV N85TT
"I run with scissors"
GRTBen

Re: Green Arc on Map Screen

Post by GRTBen »

Jerry

The green arc is the map position where you will get to your selected altitude.
When you use the altitude bug during a climb or descent it shows you where on the map you will get to the selected altitude. the reason it moves in and out from your position is because of the changes in your vertical speed or ground speed.
GRTBen
Tech Support
GRT Avionics
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

For those who have not used this function, it is very handy when arriving at an airport VFR. Just set the desired altitude to the pattern altitude (MSL), and the green arc will show you if you need to increase (arc beyond airport) or decrease (arc before airport) your rate of descent to arrive at the airport at pattern altitude.
Jerry Schneider

Post by Jerry Schneider »

Just so we're clear...
I get this green arc at various times (maybe even on the ground, but I won't bet on it.). It goes out from the plane icon and back in, looking like a radar/sonar pulse. Looks cool as heck!

I am guessing I'm getting this because I may have "zero" set to altitude? (I've never used the altitude setting before.)
I'll check the setting next time at the hangar.

Thanks.
Jerry Schneider
Cozy MKIV N85TT
"I run with scissors"
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Push the right knob (knob, not button) once. Use the right knob to dial in desired altitude. Push the right knob twice to exit.

Yes, if you are holding constant altitude then the green arc will be infinitely far away. If you have zero in the altitude desired window, then if you descend (maybe in a downdraft) the green arc will suddenly move in; as you go back up the green arc will zoom off screen.