Garmin GTR200

tjhickey

Garmin GTR200

Post by tjhickey »

This is probably a very basic question, and will reflect my lack of understanding of many things, but here we go:
I am making up the wiring diagram for my Murphy Rebel project. I am using the Sport 8.4" with the EIS400, the Garmin GTR200, and the Sandia 165 transponder. I am struggling with the associated wiring diagrams, but making some progress. My question is, can the GRT Sport somehow "push" ATC frequencies over to the Garmin? If so, what pins from the GRT carry this information?

Thanks.

Tim Hickey
Bobturner

Re: Garmin GTR200

Post by Bobturner »

I do not know, but If the Garmin GTR200 uses the same formats as the SL-40/30, then the answer would be yes. You need to dedicate a serial port, and run a serial (RS-232) line from the Sport to the radio.

I have an HX and an SL-30 but frankly never use this feature. I mean, how hard is it to dial in a frequency?
tjhickey

Post by tjhickey »

Good Point. I guess it is being done because it is kind of like "Showing Off". One of those "Watch This" moments.

Tim
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Garmin manual says the 200 is backwards compatible with the SL40 commands. So run a serial line from SX to the 200, set up the SX port as if it were an SL40, and it should work.
tjhickey

Post by tjhickey »

Thank You for the advice. EE is not my native language. All the help I can get is appreciated. I am quite thankful that I an not trying to hook up one of those quite fancy panels you see on display at Oshkosh. Mine is pretty simple, but will be a chore for me.

Tim
tjhickey

Post by tjhickey »

By looking at the pin-out listings of both the GRT Sport, and the Garmin GTR200, it looks like I should run a wire between pin 37 on the Sport (labeled as TX4), to pin 24 of the Garmin GTR200, labeled as RS232 In.

The Garmin pin-out shows a pin 23 as a RS232 out. Given that the GTR200 is just a com, do you suppose that the pin 23 output is not active in this device? Or is there data to be shipped from the Garmin to the GRT Sport? I guess it could cause the freq being used to display on the GRT screen. Make sense?

Tim
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The SL40 and compatible units could send out a frequency change message when its frequency was changed. Only the HXr uses that information to display the frequency. For the other models we don't bother to wire it up.