Recording Flight Data

dalemed

Recording Flight Data

Post by dalemed »

I've started taxi testing my homebuilt in preparation for the First Flight. I like the idea of recording flight and engine parameters from the Sport SX EFIS and EIS 4000.

I've set up Demo mode to capture 6M of data with manual start and stop.

I tried a sample run in the hangar (without the engine running) and the unit started recording when I selected DEMO Start, and save a .log file to the memory stick when I selected DEMO Stop.

I then pushed the plane out, started the engine, let the EFIS go thru it's startup cycle, and pressed DEMO Start. The EFIS displayed a "started recording" (or something like that). After taxiing for 15 minutes (high speed, tailwheel off the ground, yahoo!), I shut down the enging but left the EFIS powered on. When I selected "DEMO Stop" the EFIS kept displaying the message "Waiting for USB Device". I couldn't get the data to record to the stick. I even unplugged the stick and reinserted it, but still it kept "waiting...".

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Does it have something to do with the amout of data I'm trying to log?

Thanks for any help! I want this working before my first flight!!

Dale
Bobturner

Re: Recording Flight Data

Post by Bobturner »

Sounds like the stick is too full.???
dalemed

Post by dalemed »

I have about 1.7G left on the stick. Plenty of space.
jclark

Post by jclark »

dalemed wrote:I have about 1.7G left on the stick. Plenty of space.
Try removing and re-inserting the memory stick.

Then try another stick.
Sometimes the EFIS simply does not "see" the stick or for some reason is unable to "read or write" to it.

Not often, but I have seen that before.

James
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

That's right. I had a stick but after using it to move files from a PC to a Mac it wouldn't work on the EFIS anymore....??
dalemed

Post by dalemed »

jclark wrote:
dalemed wrote:I have about 1.7G left on the stick. Plenty of space.
Try removing and re-inserting the memory stick.

Then try another stick.
Sometimes the EFIS simply does not "see" the stick or for some reason is unable to "read or write" to it.

Not often, but I have seen that before.

James
Thanks! I'lll give that a try.

How long should it take to transfer 6M of data from the efis to the stick? Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.

Dale
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

The internal memory can only hold so much data. It will then dump that to the stick, then start over again. So during a long flight you'll see several dumps with small gaps between them. How long depends on how much data you're collecting and how often. I think mine (HX) dumps to the stick about every 15 minutes. I think the "write" was less than a minute. BTW, search the "new features" or "this weeks column" or something like that. The latest software can be set to record and write automatically.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If the EFIS says "Waiting for USB device" that means it doesn't see the stick. An SX normally finds the stick within 10 seconds. If it takes longer than that, you might need to remove the stick for 10 seconds and then try again. Every once in a while I've seen a display get into a strange condition where it doesn't see the stick until you reboot.