Fuel Flow - Leaning

jkreidler

Fuel Flow - Leaning

Post by jkreidler »

It would be useful to have a lean function which lists the fuel flow at which each cylinder reached peak EGT. This would greatly simplify the "GAMI Lean Test", which is a useful test to conduct periodically to troubleshoot various issues. As it stands now I need to either write down the data or download the data and review it post flight. -Jason
Bobturner

Re: Fuel Flow - Leaning

Post by Bobturner »

I suggest you save the data, then later plot egt vs fuel flow. You need to lean very slowly, in small steps, to allow FF and egts to stabilize at each step. The problem with your suggestion is that you want FF at peak egt. But the 'peak egt' function doesn't know there was a peak until egt starts to fall, and then it's too late - you want FF right at the peak, not slightly lean of peak.
jkreidler

Post by jkreidler »

I am fully aware of how the test is done Bob, the data is there and the method for GRT to determine and report the peak EGT and fuel flow is well known. We are trying to look forward for a better way, not to repeat the way it has always been done.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, in principle it can be done. But because of the time lag with the egt data, and to a lesser extent the FF, this is a tricky programming problem. IMHO it would take a major effort to get it to work correctly. I note that the guys at Air Flow Performance recommend taking the data manually and not using efis peak detection software (as it exists today).