Garmin and GRT ADSB

APACHE 56

Garmin and GRT ADSB

Post by APACHE 56 »

My avionics shop told me that they did not believe that the GRT Hx will be able to display the ADSB data from the Garmin GDL 88. What is the GRT ADSB plan for the legacy systems e.g., Hx etc?

thanks,
Don
Bobturner

Re: Garmin and GRT ADSB

Post by Bobturner »

Look thru the documents, you'll find adsb in systems that work with the HX.
Basically, Garmin keeps their software secret, so they only work with Garmin.
Stratus works only with Foreflight.
Almost everything else works with GRT. (USB outputs do not work on HS, you need a serial output for that)
I'm using a Skyradar with my HX, works great. Antennas glued onto the fiberglass doorposts.
APACHE 56

Post by APACHE 56 »

Bob,
I was thinking in terms of the 2020 mandate; i.e., ADSB in/out. If I get the GDL 88 I assume it will show up on the GTN 650 but I'd like the display linked to the GRT Hx like the current TIS traffic (GTX 330 -> GRT Hx). Hopefully GRT is working that issue with Garmin.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Okay, I will be more direct. Garmin has a monopoly on ifr gps navigators; they would like to extend that monopoly power to other areas. They will work against, not with, other manufacturers. If you are set on the gdl88 then you need a G3x as your efis to see the traffic on the pfd.
With your HX, you do have many options. For adsb in, see the documents page list of options. For ADSB out, GRT recommends the Trig mode S-ES transponder, but you can also use the Garmin 330-ES at twice the price! You will need the Garmin ifr navigator as a gps source. Or, you can go the UAT route, e.g., Navworx has a complete in/out/TSO'd gps package. Since you already have the TSO'd gps the Trig transponder, plus any compatible -in box, is probably the most cost effective now. One can always hope for a truely low priced UAT package but so far it has not happened.
jclark

Post by jclark »

APACHE 56 wrote:Bob,
I was thinking in terms of the 2020 mandate; i.e., ADSB in/out. If I get the GDL 88 I assume it will show up on the GTN 650 but I'd like the display linked to the GRT Hx like the current TIS traffic (GTX 330 -> GRT Hx). Hopefully GRT is working that issue with Garmin.
Many of us wish(ed) that Garmin would make available their ADS-B data for display on EFIS'es from other manufacturers. Same for the Stratus unit that is exclusive to ForeFlight.
As of the latest "ask" that I have made to people at both of these suppliers, the business decision is to NOT do that so far. <We can all hope they will change.>

So ....

If you want ADS-B on your GRT EFIS, you have about HALF DOZEN choices of receivers with a wide range of features and pricing somewhere between ~$500 and ~ $1500)
- SkyRadar
- DUAL
- iLevil
- Flight Data Systems
- NavWorx
- Freeflight

Now, if you ALSO want the APP Garmin Pilot, you will need purchase additionally a GDL39
And, if you ALSO want the APP ForeFlight, you will need to purchase additionally a Stratus receiver.

I think that the cost of a dedicated unit for the GRT and a dedicated unit for an APP is can probably be cheaper than a GDL 88.

"Your panel, your choices."

James
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

jclark wrote:
Now, if you ALSO want the APP Garmin Pilot, you will need purchase additionally a GDL39
And, if you ALSO want the APP ForeFlight, you will need to purchase additionally a Stratus receiver.

I think that the cost of a dedicated unit for the GRT and a dedicated unit for an APP is can probably be cheaper than a GDL 88.

James
Probably true, but it's better than that: my $500 (factory refurbished) Skyradar feeds the HX via USB and simultaneously feeds the iPad via WiFi. Both WingX and Skyradar's own app can display the traffic and wx data.
APACHE 56

Post by APACHE 56 »

The Navworx look promising. I have the Navworx wx, GTX 330 and a GTN 650 all communicating well with the dual Hx setup. My Foreflight/Stratus 2 is relegated to approach plates/airport diagrams and backup map. I am curious about the TSO and non TSO GPS (at a $1300 delta) option. I would imagine the 2020 mandate would dictate a TSO gps so why offer a non TSO option?
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Navworx offers a non-TSO gps option for their UAT for users like you, who already have a TSO gps that can be used to feed it. (The GTN series and the 400W series (may need software upgrade) can be used for the 2020 requirements).
As an aside, I wonder if the Navworx gps units are really the same - you're paying for the paperwork with the TSO box??

So it appears you have a navworx ADSB-in box now? If so then to add ADSB-out you could pony up the $1200 Garmin wants to upgrade your 330 to a 330-ES (and use your GTN as the gps); or replace your 330 with the remote Trig transponder (about $2200) and sell your 330 (I would guess you can get $1500 for it) for a $700 net cost.

Edit: you said 'navworx wx' but did you mean 'weatherworx xm weather'? If so then you'll still need, or at least want, an ADSB-in box. I liked the Skyradar because of its USB connection, plus works with WingX which I already had. I also liked the $500 price (cost me another $10 for coax extensions for the antennas so I could hide the box). But you have a number of choices. But if you wanted to keep the xm wx (if that is what you have) and do without the traffic info then you do not have to have ADSB-in.
APACHE 56

Post by APACHE 56 »

Thanks Bob; I have some homework to do.