SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

mamcelr

Re: SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

Post by mamcelr »

Jeff . . . thank you. I happened to go out to the plane yesterday and was able to dial in 230400 just as you point out, so I'm feeling pretty good about this right now.

If you could help me with one more question, I'll be good. Port #1 is currently set to 115200bps and Input and Output is set to Weather. I've taken the SkyRadar out, which was connected via USB to the HX directly above the HS we're talking about. But the Input Counter is receiving packets. The only avionic switched "on" in the plane is the HS, so I'm not sure where this information is coming from. Do you see a problem using this port for the SkyRadar serial connection?

Serial #2 is connected to the AHRS-1/Air Data Computer #1, so I don't want to mess with that port.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Did this plane previously have XM Weather? If so, it may still have our XM Weather Processor box wired to serial port 1. The XM Weather Processor talked to the XM Receiver over USB and talked to the EFIS over serial.

Are there any wires connected to Serial Port 1? If they are shorted together, the Weather input and output will loop back to itself.

Does the HS have any modules attached to the back? The modules take over Serial Port 1. If you have a module attached to the back of the HS, such as an ARINC-429 module or GPS module, then Serial Port 1 is used by the module and can't be used as a high-speed port.
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Jeff . . . thank you for chiming in. I have owned the plane for two months now and have pinged the 3 prior owners to determine exactly what mods they have made to the avionics. I did not get a wiring diagram or pinout table for any of the avionics, so I’m slowly trying to map everything. With that, I’ll try and answer your questions and respond to your comments.

Did this plane previously have XM Weather? - Yes. One owner put it in and the last owner before me took it out without making any changes to the settings. I was told they took out the receiver. He did not mention a processor. The existence of XM was actually uncovered in March, the result of a constant status fault I was getting in the “HX”. GRT uncovered an incorrect setting in the “HX”, the USB XM WX WEATHER setting, which was set to ON. Switching that to OFF cured the status fault. No edits to settings were made to any of the other EFIS screens.

If so, it may still have our XM Weather Processor box wired to serial port 1. The XM Weather Processor talked to the XM Receiver over USB and talked to the EFIS over serial. – None of the owners mentioned removing an XM Weather Processor. Could the Processor be wired to the “HS” even though the only setting change made was to the “HX”? Can you provide a description/picture? I’ll look for it.

Are there any wires connected to Serial Port 1? Yes, pins 2 (purple) and 20 (white) have wires connected. Only pins 1, 5 and 24 are vacant.

Does the HS have any modules attached to the back? The modules take over Serial Port 1. If you have a module attached to the back of the HS, such as an ARINC-429 module or GPS module, then Serial Port 1 is used by the module and can't be used as a high-speed port. – I do not see any modules physically connected to the back of the “HS” unit. There is a GNS430W in the plane, but I’m almost positive it’s connected to the “HX”. All of the ARINC settings in the “HX” have values. The "ARINC Module Connected" setting in the subject “HS” is set to NO.

Thanks for your help . . .
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Since I also have an HX/HS system, and also had xm (since disconnected), I can take a guess. Rather than buy the wx processor for the HS, it was less expensive to wire the xm radio directly to the HX, which needed no external processor. Then, the HX could send the wx data over to the HS. This required using one of the high speed ports on the HS. So my guess is that you still have that wired.

Question for Jeff: Is there a reason that ADSB WX cannot be transfered over serial, just as the xm used to be?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If the HX has an output set to "USB WX Processor Repeater" that is what's happening. The HS Serial Port 1 was probably getting XM WX data over that port from the HX, and that would mean the port is now available for any other use.

We don't have an ADS-B repeater output because ADS-B originally was only serial, and the USB versions require higher baud rates than the normal set, which we previously didn't support.
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Sorry for the darkness . . . I have a job and it pays for this new toy . . . so you know the priority!

Responding to Jeff's last post, I checked all of the settings on the HX and HS and nothing had a value of "USB WX Processor Repeater". However, Jeff also thought there might be an XM Processor in the plane and his guess was correct. The unit had been deactivated by a previous owner, but the output from the XM unit led straight to the input for the #1 Serial Port on the HS. I disconnected it and the output, built an S-2 plug for the new serial port on the SkyRadar D2, changed the settings on the HS Serial Port #1 to Input: ADS-B, Output: OFF, Baud Rate: 230,400 and "WAHLA", the counter on the HS started spinning up just like the counter on the HX for the D2.

The plane is still down for other mods and repairs, so getting it in the air will be another couple weeks, but I'll make one last post to confirm it all works in flight. Thank you to everybody for all your input and support.
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Everything worked exactly as planned in the air. The new serial port on the SkyRadar D2 fed data to the HS as hoped. Now there's no need to change screens back and forth on the HX from PFD to Map, but it's still on the HX if I need it. Of course the D2 is also still broadcasting the data via WIFI too.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Subject closed . . . :)