SkyguardTWX installation

Roger

SkyguardTWX installation

Post by Roger »

I am planning to install a SkyguardTWX in my Experimental. This unit is fully compatable to the GDL90 software protocol. They have a serial input and output that run at 460.8K baud. I am told that I need an adaptor cable which has a built in converter to give a USB output to plug into my HX.

1. Is this my only/best option for input to the HX?

2. Is any setup required in the HX, or does it automically see the input and do its own setup?

3. There is an option of a LED indicator to tell you that the ADS-B is functioning properly, ie ADS-B transmitter is enabled and it is picking up the squawk and pressure altitude codes from the transponder. Are there messages appearing on the HX to let you know of these malfunctions?
GRT_Jeff

Re: SkyguardTWX installation

Post by GRT_Jeff »

1. Serial ports 3-8 may be capable of 460.8K but the software does not give you this option and we have not tested it. I could give you a version to try.

2. If you connect via USB, you would turn on the USB ADS-B function, and the system would automatically search for USB serial ports with ADS-B data on them. It does not try 460.8K though. I would have to give you software to try.

3. There are no indicators other than the alarm for complete loss of communication. There isn't a clear standard for the verification of data, and it can be specific to the ADS-B devices. We don't have any experience with the SkyguardTWX. You may need to use one of their apps. Some transceivers may pass through your own plane as a traffic target, which would cause your plane to show up in a traffic alert at your current altitude, but you wouldn't normally fly without filtering that out. You can see some very basic status information on the SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, ADS-B Status page.
Roger

Re: SkyguardTWX installation

Post by Roger »

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! I have had further conversation with SkyguardTWX and they say that they can ship the unit with the baud rate reduced down to 230.4K baud. I have not yet purchased the ADS-B, so will probably wait a couple of months until my plane is finished before I make the investment. Perhaps things will change and the interface will be more defined later.

This looks like a nice inexpensive 2020 compliant unit and perhaps it would be to the advantage of GRT to look into the interface and available diagnostic output.