XM Wx Question

JimB

XM Wx Question

Post by JimB »

I've recently returned from a trip to Canada and last week to North Fox Island. In both situations ADSB was not available. I still have my GRT XM setup, the WxWorx receiver and GRT processor.

I would prefer not to disconnect/remove my ADSB In (Stratux) when I need XM. I have a Sport HS EFIS, so I'm using the serial interface to Stratux.

I do not use Foreflight, so the Siriux SXAR1 is not an option.

I use FltPlnGO which will accept XM if I have a Baron Mobile Link box which does not seem to be available. FltPlnGO tells me that XM via Garmin is in the works, but no idea when that may happen.

My WxWorx receiver has an USB cable. I'm assuming it is a USB host device. Could I just connect a USB to WiFi adapter to that and have XM on my iPad? Or do I need to use two USB - RS232 adapters (same idea as mentioned in early Stratux thread) and a USB-WiFi adapter to transmit the WxWorx data via WiFi to my iPad?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Re: XM Wx Question

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The WxWorx box is a USB device. It can only be connected to a host like a computer or EFIS. There is no way to add WiFi to the WxWorx box with USB and generic WiFi devices. The Baron Mobile Link probably acts like a USB host to connect to the WxWorx and transfer the serial data to WiFi. The app also must have a certain way to connect to the Baron Mobile Link that any other device would have to duplicate.
JimB

Re: XM Wx Question

Post by JimB »

Thanks Jeff.

I’ve managed to purchase a Mobile Link and it works with the WxWorxs receiver that came with my old GRT XM setup. Now I have XM on my iPad, both in FltPlnGO and also with Baron’s standalone product. WxWorx website is being redone so you purchase Mobile Link directly from Baron, $200. But you get to the Baron contact from WxWorx.com.

Jim Butcher