Hit and miss XM weather display

APACHE 56

Hit and miss XM weather display

Post by APACHE 56 »

I have XM wx connected to my dual Hx displays. I am getting intermittent displays of the wx data. For example, yesterday I flew down the east coast of Florida where there were severe thunderstorms off the coast. The Stratus ADS-B showed it clearly; the XM wx showed nothing. I went to the Set Up menu to see if any data packages were being received. It showed weather ~ 1min 8 secs old but no TAF or METAR etc. I am wondering if I am not using the Hx map display correctly. There is a soft key that gives options such as, RADAR, TERRAIN, SHADE, METAR etc. I typically choose radar and was, in fact in that mode. Any ideas?

thanks,
Don
Bobturner

Re: Hit and miss XM weather display

Post by Bobturner »

Go to the set up page for xm, see if it says "aviator Lite" (or whatever your subscription is). If it says status unknown, it needs to be re-activated.
I had the problem that every so often the radio would fall into de-activaed status, and would need to be re-activated. This is an xm issue, not grt. Same thing happened to my xm car radio. Happens so often that xm has automated the process, go to xm web site, navigate thru to "send reactivation signal". Immediately set the xm to 'activate' in the grt menu. Should reactivate within 10 minutes.
This happened to me once too often; I cancelled the xm subscription, put in ADSB-in (I use Skyradar, USB to HX), I keep the monthly xm fee and am happy.

OR, maybe you have a different problem altogether!
APACHE 56

Post by APACHE 56 »

[quote="Bobturner"]Go to the set up page for xm, see if it says "aviator Lite" (
quote]

Bob,
It does say "aviator lite" etc. It seems the data is getting to the grt in that it says it received a radar packet. As an aside I am 99% certain I am going to dump the Wxworks box and replace it with a NAVWORX ADS-B. They have a 600B for $2300 with a non TSO'd gps. They will upgrade it for $500 in 2015 or 2016 (can't remember which). That is a totally compliant "OUT" plus "IN" capability for a total of ~$2800; hard to beat.

Don
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

okay, I'm stumped. Did you look at any airports, see if you could see any METARS?

I picked up the Skyradar as a factory refurbished unit for $500. Works great on HX ((USB connection) and WingX on iPad (wifi). I already have a G420W which can be a TSO'd gps source (needs a software upgrade). So I'll probably buy a Trig S-ES from GRT, remote run thru the HX, for a net $1500 after selling my 327, re-use the same antenna, for ADSB-out.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

One more question: On map page, "Radar" enabled, do you see "Radar data 4 minutes old" or do you see "no radar data" or neither? Sitting on the ground, you can go to the north up map, expand out to 500 mile range, slew around over the whole US looking for weather, if the xm is working properly.

Okay, one last question: how is the weatherworx receiver being powered? Early instructions said it would power itself from the USB line but it turns out that's really marginal (I found it sometimes worked from one USB outlet but never from the other!). Carlos told me to hard wire its power cord thru a fuse or CB to buss power (I used the same CB as the EFIS itself) and after that I didn't have that problem anymore.