Upgrading Software HS

ZuluZephyr

Upgrading Software HS

Post by ZuluZephyr »

Hi Group,

After many years of building I am finally testing the "GRT System" 2 HX displays, 1 HS display, EIS, dual AHRS and AP. The software upgrade for the HX's was smooth with no problems. The HS is not upgrading. I am getting a "missing checksum dir" message. I am using a generic USB drive and followed all instructions but I did see instructions about using a supplied USB drive which I either didn't get or lost. Does the supplied USB drive have different formating? The system is currently on version 29d of the software.

Thanks for any tips,
Rocky Morrison
GRT_Jeff

Re: Upgrading Software HS

Post by GRT_Jeff »

That sounds like an original Horizon WS display. I think a version number that old has to be a WS. The instructions for the WS are a little different. The upgrade files come in a ZIP file that has to be extracted before the display can use the files. If you point the extraction program at the flash drive letter, it should do the right thing. One set of files has to end up in the main folder, and the other set of files has to end up in the CHECKSUM folder. If you have any trouble extracting the files into the right places, we can help you through the process over the phone.

If the USB flash drive does not contain the newest files, prepare the USB stick with your computer:

Extract the files in the ZIP archive to the USB flash drive. The files should start at the main directory of the USB flash drive including one subdirectory named CHECKSUM.

USB flash drive contents in main directory:
Upgrade.dat
Boot2.exe
Attitude.exe
PICPROG.HEX
AHRSOFPC.HEX
ARINC.HEX
USB flash drive contents in CHECKSUM subdirectory of main directory:
Upgrade.dat
Boot2.exe
Attitude.exe
PICPROG.HEX
AHRSOFPC.HEX
ARINC.HEX

USB flash drive preparation on your computer:

Extract the ZIP file into the main directory of the USB flash drive supplied with your GRT EFIS display. The display will not read the ZIP file directly, and it will expect the files to be in the main directory. You should see a CHECKSUM folder and a couple other files as soon as you open the window for the USB flash drive. If the files extracted into a subfolder, move the files out of the folder and into the main directory.

Installation on the EFIS display unit:

1. Go to the SET MENU by pressing the button corresponding to this item on the menu available on most pages. This item is one of the last few items on the PFD, MAP, and ENG pages. Press the Next button to see more menu items.
2. Use the knobs to move the cursor to Display Unit Maintenance and push a knob to activate that menu.
3. Use the knobs to move the cursor to Load EFIS Software and push a knob to select the item.
4a. (Older software) Rotate the same knob clockwise to activate the EFIS upgrade page.
4b. (Newer software) Push the button under YES to confirm.
5. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB connector on the back of the display unit, or into the panel mount USB connector if you have one.
6. Wait for the EFIS to detect the USB flash drive and download files. The EFIS may take up to one minute to detect the USB flash drive. The light on the USB flash drive should blink faster when detected and when data is being copied. The light will blink slower when the operation is complete.
7. When the EFIS has completed copying files from the USB flash drive, the display unit will reboot.
8. Remove the USB flash drive.
9. When the display unit boots up, verify that the Power Up page displays the new EFIS software version.
ZuluZephyr

Post by ZuluZephyr »

Hi Jeff,

That procedure worked perfectly. I was able to update the EFIS software, add the Nav.db but not the Terrain.db software. I tried two different USB drives (including the one supplied by GRT) and downloaded the Terrain DB twice. I get the message the system could not find the file terrain.db on the USB drive. I verified is was there on all attempts to load but no luck. Strangely, I was able to load the other db's such as Roads, Lakes, etc.. Any ideas what I am doing wrong with the Terrain db.?

As I went to load a picture showing the screen I noticed that the downloaded database is called terrain48.dat and the system is looking for a file terrain.dat. Should I rename the terrain48.dat to terrain.dat?

Thanks,
Rocky Morrison
Attachments
WS terrain db won't load
WS terrain db won't load
IMG_4662-800.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 20387 times
ZuluZephyr

Post by ZuluZephyr »

Hi Jeff,

Renaming the file did allow the file to load but did not bring up the terrain database. The file did not come up with a name and it stayed in the "reloading" cycle and never exited.
Attached is a screen shot.

Let me know what to try next.

Thanks,
Rocky Morrison
Attachments
Screen shot of WS with renamed terrain db
Screen shot of WS with renamed terrain db
IMG_4669-800.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 20376 times
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If the terrain database details never come up, check the Terrain setting in the SET MENU, Moving Map. It has to be turned on there or the EFIS will ignore the data. If you have to turn it on, SAVE before checking again.
jjeppson

Post by jjeppson »

GRT Jeff

I have a dual WS EFIS display in my RV-8. The EFIS version is 35d dated 2011-09-27. The AHRS version is 0.41. I assume there are later versions of both. I saw the reply to ZuluZephyr and assume the download process will be the same for me. When I tried to update with a new flash drive, we got the message "need CHECKSUM". I extracted the zip file and moved the separate items into my flash drive. Is that the correct procedure?

In addition, can I load the NAV update and Terrain update on the same flash drive?
Attachments
EFIS screen
EFIS screen
IMG_0299.JPG (40.92 KiB) Viewed 20317 times
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Sorry I missed your reply. Yes, your update procedure would be the same. All of the same models use the same update procedure. The zip extraction program often lets you select the directory to extract to. You may need to change this to the drive only. For example, it might say "E:\Full vxx xxxx-xx-xx" for the destination. You may need to change that to "E:\" for the EFIS to find it. As an alternative, you can extract the files anywhere, select all of the files and folders, then copy them to the flash drive. In any case, make sure you maintain what files are inside and outside of the CHECKSUM folder. They have the same names, but they contain different information.

You can put any other updates on the same flash drive. There are no changes to the terrain, though. The terrain source data does not change often. If you already have the terrain data you want in your display, you don't need to reload it.