HUD - Hudly Wireless

MolsonB

HUD - Hudly Wireless

Post by MolsonB »

I thought it would be good to start a thread on the HUD. See who bought into the kickstater, and what kind of beta testing / screen layouts we are looking for.
I like how they are saying, with their development app kit, you can display a 'secondary' screen to the hudly. Would be really neat to have the tablet in the center stack running the radio freq page, while outputting the flight information to the hud.

Anyways, I put my name in for 1.
GRT_Jeff

Re: HUD - Hudly Wireless

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The wireless has always had a delay in the past, so showing anything relative to real time roll/pitch like we do can be a problem. I don't think that has been solved. I think we'll still need to use the HDMI input.
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

Have you guys thought about using a Raspberry Pi for the HDMI interface? I know you've used a mini Android PC before but with the PI you could send data either from Wifi / Ethernet / Serial inter-link. The only downside of course is programming another platform and keeping it up to date with all the other changes. I'm guessing both the Horizon series and Pi both run on linux, so possibility same language? I'm looking at it from a point of hard-mounting the HUD in my dash, and having the Pi on my A/V shelf attached to the flight data interface. Rather then running the software on my phone while flying.
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

Ah disregard the Raspberry Pi comment. I see you guys use an Android stick and run the same GRT Remote app. Very cool, can't wait until March when they ship out their dash all-in-one units.
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

I would not recommend the Hudly wireless hud for planes. The display is just like having a cell phone infront of your eyes. Very hard to focus outside and/or see through the hud glass.

Going to return it, and might get the 'classic' version instead.