ADS-B Out compliance

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
Sonex1517

ADS-B Out compliance

Post by Sonex1517 »

First post - just ordered my Mini and am looking forward to putting it in my Sonex, which is still under construction.

Like many, ADS-B is a concern for me. I fly near and eventually under the Chicago Class B airspace.

While reading up and trying to delve into the requirements for ADS-B out, I went here:
http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/implementati ... sb/faq/#27

It states:
What specific equipment will be required for ADS-B Out compliance?

You would need to equip with either a TSO (Technical Standards Order)-C166b or TSO-C154c certified device, depending on the airspace you wish to access.

My question:

Is a Mini-B compliant as a GPS source for ADS-B out?

Thanks
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Jabiru 3300 Generation 4 powered taildragger
N1517S
First flight 10/10/2015
http://www.sonexfoundation.com
Bobturner

Re: ADS-B Out compliance

Post by Bobturner »

The answer is no. The long answer is that the cost of complying with those TSO requirements is cost prohibitive for a small company. I believe Katie said they would need to hire someone at least part time just to take care of the inventory controls. (That's right, the TSO contains 'parts tracebility' standards.)

As far as I know the only choices currently available are:
Garmin GTN 650/750
Garmin 400W, 420W, 430W
Navworx recently got a TSO for their gps, but I think you have to buy the whole UAT system from them, not sure the gps is available by itself.
There may be others I don't know about.
Sonex1517

Post by Sonex1517 »

Thanks!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Jabiru 3300 Generation 4 powered taildragger
N1517S
First flight 10/10/2015
http://www.sonexfoundation.com
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Well, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Basically something stinks here. The FAA wants to modernize air traffic control, which is great, but they're also asking aircraft owners to directly pay for it. And that cost is much higher than it need be, due to the FAA piling on one crazy rule after another in what it takes to get these UAT boxes certified.

The truth is that the gps in your cell phone would work just fine for ADSB- but it can never get the needed stamp of approval.
deej

Post by deej »

Sonex1517 wrote: Is a Mini-B compliant as a GPS source for ADS-B out?
Yes, it is an acceptable GPS source for ADS-B Out up until the 2020 mandate. Once we hit the year 2020, we will need to use a TSO compliant GPS for ADS-B Out services.

One hopes that there are affordable compliant GPS sources by then...

-Dj