Serial I/O on Mini-GA

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
cpeltier

Serial I/O on Mini-GA

Post by cpeltier »

I've been following the Mini-GA with interest but I'm confused by the available documentation.

Rev A of the manual states in the Introduction:
"GPS derived altitude and ground speed is displayed, and replaces the traditional baro-altitude and
indicated airspeed, when the instrument is used without a remote air data computer. For certified
aircraft, the Mini may be wired to a certified air data computer."

I'm inferring from this statement that baro-altitude and IAS would be displayed if wired to an ADC in a certified airplane but it's not clear how an ADC is connected.
The serial ports doesn't describe an ADC option or data formats that are supported. I currently have a GNS-480 and a Shadin ADC-200.

An earlier drawing depicted an ARINC 429 interface but it looks like that was dropped?

Will the EFIS display TAS from an ADC?

Any chance of displaying lightning data from a WX-500 on the map?

Thanks!
GRT_Jeff

Re: Serial I/O on Mini-GA

Post by GRT_Jeff »

No third party ADC inputs are supported by the current software. We are familiar with some of the Shadin FADC formats, so reading from the ADC-200 may be possible.

TAS would be displayed on the left side of the airspeed tape just above the airspeed box.

The ARINC-429 interface requires an external module wired in through one of the serial ports.

The Mini does not have a WX-500 input or page. Our other EFIS models do, so we can look into adding that to the software.
cpeltier

Post by cpeltier »

There are two serial ports, one port can be used for ARINC 429 in and the second reserved for WX-500 :)
Having WX-500 support would be really nice!

The current ADC support is then via the ARINC 429?
And this could also be used to receive EFIS oriented ARINC 429 labels/messages from a GPS (GNS-480 in my case) to drive the display?
Do you have a complete list of Arinc 429 Labels that the Mini-GA or the converter will accept?

I found the description for the ARINC to serial converter on your site. It will take two Arinc 429 inputs and a serial RS-232 and mux them together.
Does it support an SL30 as the data source for this aux in mux port?

Thanks again!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

We don't have support for ADC data from ARINC-429 yet. Does your ADC output on ARINC-429?

We require an RS232 line from an external GPS normally. We use the ARINC-429 inputs to get VOR/ILS and GPS approach data from 480 and 430 type units. That data is on two separate ARINC outputs, so it takes both inputs on our module. It would be possible to get more GPS data from the 429 input and rely less on the 232 input, but the 480 is an example of a unit that provides limited flight plan data over the ARINC-429 link. If we want complete flight plan data we have to get it from the RS232 link anyway.

The mux RS232 port on the ARINC-429 module can be used for any input supported by the Mini as long as the baud rate is not more than 19200. The SL30 will work.

ARINC-429 input labels:
034 -- VOR/ILS frequency and ILS-tuned status
035 -- DME mode
075 -- Waypoint Auto/Manual OBS mode
100 -- Selected course (ignored) and GPS/VOR/ILS/RNAV mode
116 -- GPS cross track error
117 -- GPS vertical deviation (GPS approach)
121 -- Autopilot roll command
122 -- Autopilot pitch command (ignored)
125 -- Time of day
130 -- Traffic range (traffic display requires option package)
131 -- Traffic relative altitude and vertical trend
132 -- Traffic bearing and threat level
173 -- Localizer valid flag and deviation
174 -- Glideslope valid flag and deviation
202 -- DME distance
222 -- VOR Omnibearing
260 -- Date
274 -- Traffic status
275 -- LRN (GPS) status
326 -- Lateral deviation scale factor
327 -- Vertical deviation scale factor
cpeltier

Post by cpeltier »

GRT_Jeff wrote:We don't have support for ADC data from ARINC-429 yet. Does your ADC output on ARINC-429?
I also have a Garmin GTX330(ES). The Shadin ADC200 is wired to it via RS232. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it will act as a concentrator and combine it (serial ADC data) with the other two ARINC inputs and generate the ADC oriented labels in a composite 429 output.
Could be useful.

The unit will do traffic? It would be nice to see ADS-B generated traffic from something like the GDL88 or GTX345.

Thanks!`
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I think the concentrator option is limited by the labels it supports for pass-through. In the past we weren't able to get everything we needed from the 480 that way.

The "Feature Set 1" option (also known as Option Package 1) can be added to the Mini to enable ADS-B input. We accept the GDL90 ADS-B serial data format over an RS232 port or USB-to-serial. Many portable ADS-B receivers with USB are USB-to-serial. This interface should be compatible with the "Legacy Data interface" of the GDL88 if you can get it into the Mini. You may be able to use a USB-to-serial adapter (with a 422 converter). You may need a USB hub to make it compatible with the USB 2.0 high-speed-only port on the Mini. The GTX345 may have the same interface, but I don't see it in the manuals available online.
cpeltier

Post by cpeltier »

GRT_Jeff wrote: We accept the GDL90 ADS-B serial data format over an RS232 port or USB-to-serial.
I know this is turning into a wish list but the Mini GA has a lot of capability and could be the ultimate backup EFIS with a few software additions which you already have on other products.

So, I'm running out of serial ports but the USB port can be used on the Mini to support a GDL90 format data stream using a 422->(232)->usb converter. If using a hub will it support multiple virtual serial connections or just one?

Mini serial ports:
Serial 1 -> Arinc 429 adapter -> GNS 480 Arinc 1 & 2, RS232 Mux port -> GNS480 Aviation out
Serial 2 -> WX500 ;) (i don't need controller functionality)
USB -> GDL90 and/or Shadin ADC serial ;) This would replace GPS altitude and ground speed tapes with pressure altitude and IAS without a direct pitot static connection and be legal on a certified airplane.

Is the unit shipping?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

We only support one GDL90 connection over USB. The Mini will scan all USB serial ports for GDL90 data until it finds one, and then it will stick with that one until the data stops. The Mini does not search for any other types of data.

The Mini GA is currently out of stock. We expect to have more in two weeks.