Mini X bad calibration

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
brettt777

Mini X bad calibration

Post by brettt777 »

I just installed a Mini X in an L-39. I used a remote compass sensor mounted out in the right hand wing where the fluxgate for the original DG was mounted. They are telling me that the heading on the thing reads about 15 degrees off. Okay, there were some issues when doing the calibration; as in we got interupted, I tried to stop the cal process and restart it after the interuption but it said it was still in the process so we went with it and it said it was a good cal. Well, it's 15 degrees off so apparently it was not a good cal. My question is this; can a calibration that bad cause the heading readout to lag severely? They are saying that not only is it 15 degrees off, it also has severe lag when turning. Can a bad cal cause that on a mini x? In other systems where I have experienced severe lag, it was usually caused by poor placement of the sensor. Well, this sensor is in the best place it could possibly be on this jet. I am wondering and hoping I can fix this with a new and proper calibration.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Mini X bad calibration

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The calibration only checks that the data is within limits and doesn't have gaps. It doesn't know if it's accurate. A bad calibration wouldn't cause lag. The PFD heading should always turn with the plane. If the calibration is offset by 15 degrees it will stay offset by 15 degrees, though. If it's off by more or less than 15 degrees in some places, it may slowly adjust to those changes. You will need to redo the calibration to fix that. Make sure you set the magnetometer orientation in the menu before doing the calibration.
btucker52

Post by btucker52 »

Does setting the magnetometer orientation in the menu before calibration apply to a Sport HS?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

btucker52 wrote:Does setting the magnetometer orientation in the menu before calibration apply to a Sport HS?
No. The orientation settings would only apply to an Adaptive AHRS, which did not exist when the Sport HS was made.