Mini AP question and request

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
jmodguy

Mini AP question and request

Post by jmodguy »

A Mini AP question and an enhancement request...
question - I am using the Mini AP with EIS 4000. Both have an input for a remote temp sensor. If I connect the sensor to the EIS will the EIS send that data to the Mini AP or does the Mini AP require its own temp sensor?
request - The mini AP has 2 useable serial IO ports. One is used for the servos and the other is tied to the EIS. I would like to use the Mini AP to dump frequencies to my COM. I can't - no more serial ports... :(
Any chance the overworked software guys can get a USB to serial interface on the Minis??
Regards
Jeff
GRT_Jeff

Re: Mini AP question and request

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If you have Feature Set 1 (Option Package 1) then the engine data input will include the OAT on the EIS.

The EIS only uses the Input side of the port at 9600. An SL40-compatible COM also uses 9600 and would only require the Output side of the same port.

We haven't made any changes to work with general USB-serial ports yet but we are taking notes on these issues.
jmodguy

Post by jmodguy »

GRT Jeff
I ordered the option set with my Mini AP. Pretty much everything except the backup batt.
So from what I understand from your reply is that if I connect the OAT sensor to the EIS, the EIS will transmit that data to the Mini AP. The Mini AP will accept the data and use it to compute TAS, density alt etc.
I plan to add AP servos and I have an EIS 4000. These will use the 2 available COM ports on the Mini AP. The way I understand it the EIS will use the COM port to transmit engine data to the Mini AP for the engine page. Does the MINI need to be told which COM port contains the engine data?
My hope is that someday your super duper software coders will find a way to utilize a USB to serial interface to talk to a COM or any other peripheral sometime in the future. Basically all I would have to do is add a USB hub to the MINI and common peripherals (i.e. COM) could take freq data from the MINI.
Regards
Jeff Stultz
Carmel IN
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You will need to configure one of the Serial Inputs on the Mini for "EIS/Engine Monitor". The Mini will automatically use the OAT data.

For example, if you wire it to port 2, you would configure the port in SET MENU, General Setup:
Serial Port 2 Rate: 9600
Serial Port 2 Input: EIS/Engine Monitor
jmodguy

Post by jmodguy »

Thanks! Sounds easy enough

Regards
Jeff
jmodguy

Post by jmodguy »

Jeff
I just re-read your last post on this thread and picked up a little more info. Let me know if any of the below is incorrect.

On my Mini AP I am using COM 2 primarily for the EIS.
COM2 RX from the EIS4000 TX. Baud rate 9600.
COM2 TX port on the mini can be used to transfer frequencies to the COM radio. Baud rate 9600.

I will be using COM1 primarily for the autopilot servos.
COM1 TX and RX are required to communicate with the servos.

I was looking at the setup menus and after re-reading your previous post this makes sense now. Unless I am wrong.... :shock: