Dual XGPS170

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
GordonTurner

Dual XGPS170

Post by GordonTurner »

Facing a shortage of serial ports, but I notice this unit is USB.

Is it compatable with the USB on Mini X or AP? I realize it will need to go through a powered USB port extender...

I also notice that the magnetometer ports are sub-labeled as Serial 3 I/O. It appears that using two linked Mini's, one a AP the second an X, the magnetometer uses both ports on the primary EFIS and only the IN on the secondary?????? If so, I don't suppose it would be possible to use the OUT serial#3 to send GPS position info to an ELT?

Planned serial port use: EFIS #1 (AP). #1 I/O Autopilot, #2 I/O serial link. EFIS #2 (X). #1 I/O SL-30 (actually VAL 2000 com and nav), #2 I/O serial link.

Any other ideas to add ADS-B IN and GPS data OUT (to ELT)?

Gordon
GRT_Jeff

Re: Dual XGPS170

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Yes, the XGPS170 USB is compatible with the Mini (with Feature Set 1 / Option Package 1 for ADS-B functions).

The serial port 3 output on the secondary can be used as a GPS output. The magnetometer input requires a baud rate of 19200, so your ELT would need to accept that. 19200 would be an unusual rate for a GPS.
GordonTurner

Re: Dual XGPS170

Post by GordonTurner »

Ahhh. Yes, that baud rate appears to be too high. Interesting though. Thanks for the response.

Gordon