AOG Dead Screen AHRS

JimB

AOG Dead Screen AHRS

Post by JimB »

My PFD stopped working shortly after takeoff. First the bottom of the PFD turned black, then the entire display had lots of horizontal lines first white then yellow. Powered off and back on, no change. Diverted to nearby airport. While in route turned on vent fan since glareshield felt hot and a few minutes later the display came back on but seemed stuck showing horizon banked. Perhaps that was because the airplane was banked when I powered it back on. After landing, display seemed normal during landing and taxi.

I'm thinking it might be too hot. Anyone got ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Re: AOG Dead Screen AHRS

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Usually if a screen overheats it shuts down or reboots. If the screen had horizontal lines but was still updating the data or sending data to other equipment, that suggests a video connection issue that may have worsened in the heat. In any case, our screens do have temperature limits that mainly affect the processor and power supplies. You can check the display's internal temperature in SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, Analog Inputs. Above 150 F is too hot. You can also check SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, Color Test, to see if the colors are stable. There shouldn't be any flickering or bleeding on that page. The AHRS is very sensitive to motion during the first 10 seconds after power is turned on and probably had bad initial sensor readings if you were banked during that time.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Thanks Jeff.

I just looked at an old DEMO file that I decoded with GRT DeCode, and notice there is an internal temp column, but the data is all 0s. Is there a way to view internal temp from the DEMO file?

Jim
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

That column is for the external AHRS or EIS. None of the decoders extract the internal temperature data from the analog inputs. If you send me the demo file I can try to extract it.