Flight Director on Sport EX-How to?

farmrjohn

Flight Director on Sport EX-How to?

Post by farmrjohn »

How does one activate the flight director on a Sport EX without moving map or synthetic vision? Following the directions to push the right knob twice does not bring up the flight director prompt over soft key 3, rather it brings up a prompt to go to the engine screen. Is moving map and/or synthetic vision required for the flight director? No autopilot servos installed at this point.
Bobturner

Re: Flight Director on Sport EX-How to?

Post by Bobturner »

Are you sure you are pushing the right KNOB (twice) and not the right button? First push should bring up the autopilot menu; second push should show the FD on/off button.
farmrjohn

Post by farmrjohn »

Yes, I'm sure it's the knob and not a button/soft key (I'm pushing the round black knob at the far right along the bottom of the screen that you can either push or twist). The first push does bring up the first autopilot menu but the second push doesn't. As I stated, on the second push the soft key that should be for the flight director is labeled ENG and takes you to the engine page if pushed.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Usually the third push takes you back to the main menu (and ENG on the third button). I wonder if you’re getting some contact bounce on that control? If grt doesn’t respond tomorrow, call them.
Another thought. Do you have lateral and vertical autopilot enabled, in the setup menu? Even though you don’t have an autopilot it’s the autopilot software that drives the FD.
farmrjohn

Post by farmrjohn »

Thanks, will check the autopilot enabled settings in the setup menu. I tried the forum since it was the weekend.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The flight director doesn't have a button on the EX displays without the Vertical Autopilot Functions option, also known as VERT A/P, IFR A/P or GPSV. On displays without this option, the vertical mode is always altitude-hold.

An altitude-hold version of the flight director is available in this beta software update:
EX software version 3.03-beta9 2021-03-24

Download the EXUp.dat file to your USB flash drive. Make sure it keeps the name EXUp.dat and doesn't have any extra dashes, parentheses, or numbers. For example if you see EXUp(2).dat or EXUp-2.dat, rename the file to remove the extra characters. It's OK if you don't see the .dat. Then use SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, Load EFIS Software to load it.
rv8ch

Post by rv8ch »

Hi Jeff, what other goodies are in this beta version? Thanks, Mickey
Mickey Coggins
http://rv8.ch
"Hello, world!"