FLying OBS course without additional VOR radio?

Keith

FLying OBS course without additional VOR radio?

Post by Keith »

I have a Sport EX coupled to an autopilot. I do not have a VOR nav radio or IFR navigator that is coupled to the Sport EX. I can set a VOR as a destination and fly directly to it but am wondering if I can set a course to fly to that same VOR via a particular radial and also if I can set things up so that I can fly outbound from a VOR on a particular radial? For example let's say I wanted to fly direct to a VOR (easy by just setting up the VOR as a destination) and once I reach the VOR, let's say I wanted to fly outbound on a particular radial. How would I set that up on the GPS navigation planning? I could kind of do that just finding another destination beyond the VOR that happened to be on the wanted radial but would rather just dial in a particular radial and then intercept that radial and fly outbound. Obviously once out bond on the radial, I could use "heading" as my auto pilot source but intercepting that particular radial is not as easy. Any thoughts? Hope my explanation was clear enough.

Thanks Keith
GRT_Jeff

Re: FLying OBS course without additional VOR radio?

Post by GRT_Jeff »

This is called GPS HOLD mode. From a full map page, push the right knob, then push Next, and then you should see a "GPS SEQ" button. Change it to HOLD. Then you can use the course knob (right knob) to dial in a course to (and from) the active waypoint. If it's a multi-waypoint plan, the EFIS will not sequence to the next waypoint until you switch the GPS SEQ button back to AUTO.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks Jeff, I will try that. I figured there was a way to do that.
Keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

Jeff,
Thanks again. It worked well. Another related question, what is the intercept angle that the system uses to intercept a course line?

Keith
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The EFIS uses a 45 degree intercept for GPS courses.