Hall Effect Ammeter

walkman

Hall Effect Ammeter

Post by walkman »

I have installed two hall effect current sensors. I am getting erroneous readings and need to adjust (I assume) the scale factor and/or offset.

I am currently using the published SF of 164 and OFF of 313 for these sensors.

For ammeter #1, which is on the battery positive cable, I have set to integer and have the cable passing though the sensor once. I'm seeing -4 or -5 with zero load (EIS energized from separate source).

For ammeter #2, which is on the standby alternator B lead, I have set to decimal and have the table looped 10 times through the sensor. I'm seeing about -.06 again with zero load.

Are the published settings correct and/or how do I get correct settings for SF and OFF?

cheers!
pnewlon

Re: Hall Effect Ammeter

Post by pnewlon »

walkman wrote:I have installed two hall effect current sensors. I am getting erroneous readings and need to adjust (I assume) the scale factor and/or offset.

I am currently using the published SF of 164 and OFF of 313 for these sensors.

For ammeter #1, which is on the battery positive cable, I have set to integer and have the cable passing though the sensor once. I'm seeing -4 or -5 with zero load (EIS energized from separate source).

For ammeter #2, which is on the standby alternator B lead, I have set to decimal and have the table looped 10 times through the sensor. I'm seeing about -.06 again with zero load.

Are the published settings correct and/or how do I get correct settings for SF and OFF?

cheers!
Did you ever figure this out? I am going to post another question but am curious what you found out.
Bobturner

Re: Hall Effect Ammeter

Post by Bobturner »

As I noted in the other post, these sensors are not optimal for measuring the relatively small battery charge current in flight. Most people are using them to measure alternator output.
If it bothers you that it is not reading exactly zero with no current just change the offset until it does. This might affect the calibration at higher current levels, but unless you are running your alternator near max output, who cares? Most people just use these instruments to see that the alternator is working.