CS-01 Current Sensor installation

pnewlon

CS-01 Current Sensor installation

Post by pnewlon »

I'm curious how y'll have installed your hall effect current sensors? I have the CS-01 sensor but with the size of the battery lead there is NO WAY to do any more than run the wire through the sensor once let alone 5 or 10 times! Maybe I am missing something here.... I can't say what my current load is for sure at the moment when I start the engine, but I can say that once it is running and all my normal things are turned on, I am around 2-3 amps (calculated as I haven't been able to measure it yet).

For Sensing -10.0 to +10.0 Amps:
Use the settings for -100 to +100 amps, but loop the wire which carries the current being sensed through the sensor 10 times. The display
will indicate 1/10s of an Amp, making this arrangement best suited for an auxiliary input which includes a decimal point.
Bobturner

Re: CS-01 Current Sensor installation

Post by Bobturner »

1. You don't say what aircraft you have, but most aircraft draw a lot more than a couple of amps.
2. Placing the sensor on the battery lead, you will measure the current draw of the avionics and lights only when the alternator is off line. When the alternator is running, you will see the battery charge current- substantial right after a hard start, but small once the battery is recharged. In flight, you will basically see either charging (normal) or discharging (alternator not working).
3. Most people that I know are running the alternator line (line from alternator to electric buss) thru the sensor. That way you are directly measuring the alternator output. If you really are only drawing a few amps then this wire can be a 14 gauge, and easily looped thru ten times.