HUD

kwiatkma

HUD

Post by kwiatkma »

Didn't see a HUD thread. Not sure one is needed but I've ordered mine and I'll put up user reports here.

For those interested it utilizes the Epson Moverio BT-200 Hardware. I was able to try it at OSH15 and was very optimistic with it's ability to provide situational awareness without having to look down.
Now we'll see if I can "train my brain" to use the HUD efficiently/effectively without compromising safety!

-Matt
Long EZ N213MK
kwiatkma

Re: HUD

Post by kwiatkma »

Ok so I've had my first flight with the HUD. I'm on the fence (being brutally honest). I'm gonna keep the glasses as they have other applications I'm interested in. The best way I can describe the experience is for those of us who transitioned from steam gauges to an EFIS how we had to "retrain" our brains to look in the correct location for information.

That is how I felt with the HUD. I think I'm going to have to fly a handful of hours (I only flew one hour so far) to retrain my brain where certain information is. Also I'm torn as to weather it impairs my vision looking for traffic. I DO love the tech but the use of it includes a learning curve. Much larger curve than just looking at an EFIS. Surprisingly there was no motion sickness in the plane (I did get some wearing the glasses for an extended period of time on the ground).

Another interesting tidbit is that you don't realize how much you move your head around until you have a virtual screen in front of you. Since it includes an attitude indicator and artificial horizon when in steep banks you turn your head the opposite direction of the bank(at least I do)and it makes the HUD view really weird after you get used to level flight and can have the real horizon match up with the artificial one....you get weird cues via your eyes when everything becomes misaligned.

I wonder if there is a fighter training HUD flight manual out there in the public domain?!?

That's all I have to report.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Fantastic! I'm very interested in this, but haven't been able to play with one in person.
How was the focusing distance? I understand the BT-200 image is focused at 8 feet distance (is this true?) If so, how did you find it, shifting focus in and out during flight? Or did it not matter much.
I have recently reached the age where I need lenses for near vision, so I'm thinking this might be a big deal for people like me...which includes a lot of people, really.
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

Sputnik,

It does focus at around 8 ft when you have no background(i.e. A wall or other object that is closer to focus on). I found that it does require some training of the brain to fully adapt to this. GRT does a great job on making the view minimalistic to keep from blocking your view but every once in a while a movement on the HUD (airspeed/alt strips) made me think a bird just whizzed by if I wasn't looking directly at the center of view of the glasses.

So I've found shifting focus is something you have to train yourself to do. It's a great innovation and I'm keeping mine to see where it goes. I'd love GRT to take advantage of the accelerometers/camera in the glasses to "auto correct" the horizon for head tilt and perhaps try to overlay airspace/TFR's in a 3D translucent view. For example I look to the right at an airport with airspace and it shows me identifier, airspace cones, frequency...some minimalistic information overlayed the real view. Kind of like some phone apps that use the camera for augmented reality!