Above Panel Airspeed Indicator

gleinberger

Above Panel Airspeed Indicator

Post by gleinberger »

As an older pilot (with bifocals) I find checking my airspeed on final approach somewhat scary as it requires me to take my eyes off the landing and a time consuming readjustment to my vision when I check the airspeed. As in any plane the important speed in landing is the indicated airspeed - not the ground speed which is what I am presently using to judge my speed. (I am planning on trying the Large setting on the HX airspeed display on the next flight). But what I would really like is an indicator on top of the panel of my Europa in my landing line of sight so I don't have to look down at a critical time of landing. The best of all worlds would be a heads-up display on the windshield for indicated airspeed. Anyone have any ideas? Can we pull of the airspeed from the HX somehow and route it to a dial or a projector on the windshield?

Gary Leinberger
deej

Re: Above Panel Airspeed Indicator

Post by deej »

http://www.grtavionics.com/grtvision.html

Or, maybe mount a small Android tablet near the top of the glareshield and use the GRT app?

-Dj
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

I too wear bifocals - actually progressive lenses. I carefully positioned (vertically) my HX on the panel so that, with my head held level (so looking out the windscreen I am looking thru the top half of the glasses) I need only move my eyes down, not my head, and the HX is in focus. I fear that anything on the glare shield will require substantial head movement to bring into focus. Let me suggest an alternative: have you configured the audio angle of attack warning? This works very well, with a slow beeping well above stall, with the beeping rate increasing and finally going to a solid tone as you approach stall. Use the airspeed until you're close to the ground, like 100' agl. After that use the audio AOA to keep you out of trouble.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

The alternative is to try the new "heads up" glasses. I think they may fit over your bifocals, and project airspeed data to appear 20' or so out so it should be in focus for you.