Android Support for HX?

apatti

Android Support for HX?

Post by apatti »

When the HXr first came out it was announced that the Android interface would also be made available for the HX. Does anyone know the status of this? I called and asked about this a year ago and was told it might be available by Oshkosh last year. I haven't heard anything new.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony
Warner Robins, GA
RV8A
Flying
katieb

Re: Android Support for HX?

Post by katieb »

Hi Tony,

The Android flight planning app with Bluetooth communication with the HXr is in preliminary testing, and the first version should be released soon. There's no timetable for the HX and SX integration, but it is still in the plan. The engineers ran into significant delays during Android development for a variety of reasons last year, but they are making good progress on it now. Sorry, that's probably not the answer you and many others want to hear, but it's the best I can promise right now.
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008
Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Hey Katie,
Can you elaborate on whats "in" the initial release? I thought it was more of a remote display of PFD and Map and Engine. But Ive never seen it.
What will the Android app do?
Kahuna
S8 , Team AeroDynamix,
Facebook,Track Me
Gold Hill, NC25
apatti

Post by apatti »

Katie,
Thanks for the reply. No, it isn't what I wanted to hear. But, I do appreciate the honest answer. I have been waiting to purchase an Android tablet until this capability was added. Based on this I think I will go ahead and get one. If it turns out that a different tablet would be better for this application I'll have an excuse to have two tablets! 8-)

Tony
Tony
Warner Robins, GA
RV8A
Flying
Sportsman

Post by Sportsman »

OK, and now for the s_t_r_e_t_c_h goal... For those of us with HS/WS displays, will this Android functionality become available? If so, is there any timeline guesstimate?
katieb

Post by katieb »

The WS and HS won't support the Android because the processor won't be able to handle it.

The App is for HXr only right now, but it will spread to include the HX and SX as programming is written for those systems to accept it. The first phase is a flight planning app only that communicates with the EFIS via a Bluetooth USB dongle. The Android Connect module is still in development--that's the hardware that will be required to feed PFD and engine data to the tablet in the event of display unit failure.
Last edited by katieb on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Technical Clarification!
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The Bluetooth USB dongle will feed PFD and engine data to the app. The Android Connect Module is only needed in order to work without a functional EFIS display unit.

The first versions of HX and HXr software with Bluetooth and our app link support are ready and will appear on our web site in the beta sections.

The Android app will be published as a direct download from our web site. The current version does not have any screen repeaters. It is only flight planning. The PFD screen will be added next.