GRT mini GA and Gamrin 430W questions

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
FlyingMonkey

GRT mini GA and Gamrin 430W questions

Post by FlyingMonkey »

Hi there. I own a PA28-180 and am interested in the GRT mini-GA as a situational awareness tool and vacuum failure last resort.

I have a JPI830, Kt74 Mode S transpnder and Garmin 430W. I noticed that the GTR mini GA could be connected to the 430W. the 430W currently gets some traffic and is also connected to the JPI830 for fuel flow, range etc.

1. I was wondering what benefits would come with connecting the mini GA to the 430W with this setup in mind?

2. Does the mini GA hook up to pitot static system or is the airspeed and altitude indication GPS based?

3. Is flight plan info sent from the 430W to the mini GA?

4. What if I replace my 430W with an slide in Avidyne IFD 440 replacement?

Thanks!
GRT_Jeff

Re: GRT mini GA and Gamrin 430W questions

Post by GRT_Jeff »

1. The Mini GA by itself can display GPS position, speed, track, and basic flight plan data including waypoints from the RS232 output of the 430W. By adding our ARINC-429 module you can also display VOR, ILS, and GPS approach deviation data from the ARINC-429 outputs of the 430W.

2. There is currently no approved way to connect the Mini GA to a certified pitot-static system. All the data is GPS based.

3. Yes. The RS232 "Aviation" output of the 430W contains desired track, cross track error, and a sequence of waypoints with identifiers and coordinates. The Mini will automatically read and display this "external" flight plan when the 430W is selected. You can also copy the 430W flight plan to the internal plan used by the built-in GPS.

4. The IFD 440 has the same interfaces and looks like a 430 from the perspective of the Mini GA, although we have little feedback so far. We have a customer using an IFD 540 with one of our other EFIS models.
FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey »

Thank you very much for the reply.

One more question:

Can the mini GA legally be installed into my PA28-180 and connected to ship's power and Garmin 430W through the ARINC 429 adapter? And if so, under what regulation/provision, etc. I have to be able to convince my avionics installer that it is ok.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The Mini GA can be installed in a certified aircraft as a portable device. It is easily removed and clips onto the mounting hardware. It can be wired to power and read data from your system, but it can't send data to any certified unit. It can't be used to replace any required primary or backup instruments. We have a link to the relevant FAA document near the top of our Mini GA web page.
http://grtavionics.com/mini-ga.html
FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey »

Thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated. I will be calling tomorrow to place an order. :)
FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey »

GRT_Jeff wrote:The Mini GA can be installed in a certified aircraft as a portable device. It is easily removed and clips onto the mounting hardware. It can be wired to power and read data from your system, but it can't send data to any certified unit. It can't be used to replace any required primary or backup instruments. We have a link to the relevant FAA document near the top of our Mini GA web page.
http://grtavionics.com/mini-ga.html
Following up on this thread. I received my GRT mini-GA a couple months ago but have yet to find time to get together with my avionics guy to install it.

I was curious if y;all will be pursuing any kind of STC similar to what Dynon and Garmin are doing for the D10A and G5 to get this approved for attitude indicator replacement in certified craft?