Mini-AP - SL-30 exchange of data

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
recapen

Mini-AP - SL-30 exchange of data

Post by recapen »

Got my Mini-AP connected to my SL-30 today - the counters are incrementing and the Mini-AP presents both the COMM and NAV frequencies from the SL-30 in the status window...receive side works!

How can I tell if the Mini-AP is sending data to the SL-30?
I tried rotating the knob to set the course - which I expect to see reflected in the OBS window of the SL-30...like my AFS3400.
Are there other settings that are required to configure the SL-30 as NAV or EXT whatever?

Thanks,
Ralph
GRT_Jeff

Re: Mini-AP - SL-30 exchange of data

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If you select the SL30 as the nav mode (NAV1 or NAV2, whichever it is) and use the CRS knob on the HSI page to set the course, it should appear on the SL30. You could also go to an airport or VOR details page and try sending a frequency to the SL30 from there. The SL30 Nav Mode slot is configured by the serial input. SL30-1 means NAV1, SL30-2 means NAV2. The output must match the input. The only other setting that would be important for VOR operations is the "Send SL30 OBS" option, which defaults to Always and should show the OBS on the SL30 that way.
recapen

Post by recapen »

I'll try the frequency selection sequence that you have listed below....after I figure out how...the X manual is what I am using and I don't see details on that process.

I also didn't see SL30 in the NAV mode selection box...that might be the first part of the issue.
I have the SL-30 set up for its serial as SL-30 1 and the send sl30obs to always.

Is it possible that the ARINC for second port is expecting the 430W to be NAV1 and confusing it? I can easily set the SL-30 as SL-30 2 - making it NAV2.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The ARINC should not interfere with the SL30 receiving the course or frequency changes. The ARINC is configured with the SET MENU, General Setup, ARINC VOR/ILS Inputs setting. If you set the ARINC as NAV1 and the SL30 as SL30-1, they will both be NAV1, and the ARINC will be given priority for the VOR/ILS data displayed by the Mini.
recapen

Post by recapen »

That might be the answer - I currently have the 420W in there so the ARINC port 2 is not receiving any data.
The SL-30 is set to number 1 as well - with the ARINC getting priority - it's getting nothing...
I'll try changing the SL-30 to NAV2 and see what happens.

Any instructions to go to an airport or VOR details page and try sending a frequency to the SL30 from there...nothing in the X manual?!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Go to the map page. Push the right knob twice to activate the map cursor. Rotate the knob until an airport or VOR is highlighted. Push the knob. This shows you the details for the airport or VOR. On this DETAILS page, push the FREQ button, then SET COM (if it's an airport) or SET NAV (if the airport has an ILS or if it's a VOR). After pressing SET COM or SET NAV on an airport you'll get a list of frequencies. Highlight a frequency by rotating the knob and push COM1 or COM2 (or NAV1 or NAV2) to send the frequency to the SL30. For a VOR, the SET NAV button will send the frequency directly and skip the list and NAV1/NAV2 buttons.
recapen

Post by recapen »

I changed the SL-30 to #2 and everything started working like I expected it to.
I'll try the freq thing next time I'm out there as this response came in while I was out testing the #2 change.

My 430W came in so I swapped that out - the ARINC module has all the counters incrementing properly.

In the NAV selection lists I do not see NAV1 for the VOR/LOC in the 430W. NAV2 shows up for the SL-30 and that works fine.
GPS1 does show in the NAV selection lists as does EXT1 (don't know what that one is - but it's not NAV1...it acts the same as the GPS1).

Hints on the 430W would be appreciated.

Thanks for your ongoing help!
recapen

Post by recapen »

The freq swap works properly on the SL-30 but not for the 430W.

Is the Mini-AP to 430w communications for freq swap accomplished via the serial port (the outbound side of the "Aviation" input port)? My initial thinking is that it would be facilitated by the ARINC out to the 430W. The ARINC port is connected but the outbound serial port is not.

I did the "Post-Installation checkout for ARINC 429 and GNS430" as indicated in the Supplements documentation for the 430W - the freqs are displayed and when I change them in the 430W it immediately shows up in the Mini-AP.

Thanks!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You shouldn't have both a GPS1 and EXT1. Did you mean EXT1 and GPS2?
A Mini with a 430W and SL30 should be set up like this:
430W configured as GPS1 and NAV1 using the Serial Port Input, ARINC GPS Input, and ARINC VOR/ILS Inputs settings. Also set GPS1 Flight Plan Source External.
Internal GPS configured as GPS2 and GPS2 Flight Plan Source Internal.
SL30 configured as NAV2 (SL30-2).

This will give you EXT1, GPS2, and NAV2 options, if you are using Nav Mode Source External (recommended). You can also rename EXT1 to G430-1. The EXT1/G430-1 selection replaces your GPS1 and NAV1 selections and uses the 430W mode to switch between GPS1 and NAV1 when EXT1 is selected.

It is not possible to send frequencies to a 430W.
recapen

Post by recapen »

"You shouldn't have both a GPS1 and EXT1. Did you mean EXT1 and GPS2?" - you are probably correct - I'll check and verify. I had already set my EXT1 to G430-1 as I saw that in the manual.

"430W configured as GPS1 and NAV1 using the Serial Port Input, ARINC GPS Input, and ARINC VOR/ILS Inputs settings." - got this one and it appears to work as expected.

"Also set GPS1 Flight Plan Source External." - don't know what this one is set to.

"Nav Mode Source External (recommended)" - I'll look for this one also as I don't recall seeing it.

Thanks for the clarity on these - especially inability of sending freqs to the 430W...that probably caused most of my confusion as I expected that to work like the SL-30...maybe a feature request?!