Renaming alert boxes

maniago

Renaming alert boxes

Post by maniago »

As I'm in the wiring stage, and I have all 8 serial ports used, I find I forget whats atched to what after i acknowledge all the flashing yellow alert boxes (serials 1-8). Is there a way I can rename those boxes so its more user friendly to me....? FWIW, I have 2 HXRs and a Mini-x.

More to the point, I know in flight, I'll have at least 2 boxes showing at anytime: Serial 1 I/O is a DPDT switched interconnect between the Mini and the two HXrs; and AP control (Serial 7 Out) is SP3T switched between 2 Hxrs and the Mini.

Shouldnt have any other misc boxes show up in flight, but still, would be nice to change their labels.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Renaming alert boxes

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The abbreviated boxes that appear in the top middle section of the screen can't be renamed. The full message is displayed when viewing the alarm before acknowledgement. The display will only complain about inputs that aren't receiving valid data. It's not normal to have an input on a switch. What is that for? You can review active acknowledged alarms in the STATUS inset or the inset box that appears on the ENG/MAP page when the B set of bar graphs aren't configured.
maniago

Post by maniago »

GRT_Jeff wrote:The abbreviated boxes that appear in the top middle section of the screen can't be renamed. The full message is displayed when viewing the alarm before acknowledgement. The display will only complain about inputs that aren't receiving valid data. It's not normal to have an input on a switch. What is that for? You can review active acknowledged alarms in the STATUS inset or the inset box that appears on the ENG/MAP page when the B set of bar graphs aren't configured.
Bummer on the boxes. Seems odd that noone has asked about that before......what would it take?

Yes inputs on a switch are odd. As you may recall, I have 2Hxrs and the mini. Mini has the magnetometer and AP on serial . That leaves me just one serial to interconnect with one of the HXrs. If that HXr goes down, I lose interconnect with the other. As far as I know, I cant mux the inputs from 2HXrs, so I have a switch to manually change to the other. Over kill? Yeah probably. But its $6 of cheap insurance (cost of the switch).

Data streams seems to run fine when I switch over......any issues that I'm not aware of?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Other than a constant alarm, it should not cause a problem. The unselected display may keep retrying to send data but I don't think that will hurt anything. I will have to check. The display link isn't designed to receive redundant data from two sources, so connecting both HXr inputs to the Mini (only switching the output) would cause extra duplicate data to go other the link. If you could find a way to also loop the unselected HXr's output back to its input it will think the serial link is good and prevent the alarm and extra retry activity.
maniago

Post by maniago »

GRT_Jeff wrote:Other than a constant alarm, it should not cause a problem. The unselected display may keep retrying to send data but I don't think that will hurt anything. I will have to check. The display link isn't designed to receive redundant data from two sources, so connecting both HXr inputs to the Mini (only switching the output) would cause extra duplicate data to go other the link. If you could find a way to also loop the unselected HXr's output back to its input it will think the serial link is good and prevent the alarm and extra retry activity.

Ok the constant alarm once ack'ed isnt a big deal since it stops flashing....but the renaming is useful since I currently need a decoder ring when any of the 8 serials come up......