Mini AP capabilities

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
Clam

Mini AP capabilities

Post by Clam »

I am considering purchasing a Mini AP to replace a Dynon D10, used as my backup PFD, with an HXr dual AHRS system as primary.

Couple questions regarding the Mini AP first:
1. paragraph 2.5 in the mini ap install manual mentions "magnetometer output can be shared..." Does this mean shared over the InterDisplay link or splicing wiring outputs from one magnetometer into multiple EFIS displays so that an additional magnetometer does not need to be installed?

2. If question 1 means that an additional magnetometer does not need to be installed, then is it seems that an HXr failure would prevent mag data from reaching the Mini AP.

3. Is there a complete list of data shared over the InterDisplay link to the Mini AP? The manual paragraph 2-6 mentions a few items, but I'm looking specifically for ADS-B traffic and weather via InterDisplay. I can't determine this from website or manual. I'm not sure my ADS-B IN receiver has extra serial ports available if I have to run dedicated weather to the Mini AP.

Thanks for information.
Jeff
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
GRT_Jeff

Re: Mini AP capabilities

Post by GRT_Jeff »

1. The digital magnetometer has to be wired to each display/AHRS by splicing wires. Sending the data over the link is not currently an option. Only the digital magnetometers used by the Adaptive AHRS, 10.1, EX, Mini, and SX S200A (Adaptive) can be shared. The analog magnetometers used by the legacy AHRS (made before 2015) can't be shared.

The magnetometer power outputs are diode-protected so it is possible to splice the magnetometer power connections to provide redundant power to the magnetometer in case one screen/AHRS loses power.

3. Weather does not transfer. The nearest 32 traffic reports transfer over the link. Serial outputs can usually be connected to 2 or 3 serial inputs.

Here is a summary of what transfers:

Data shared with a Mini over the Display-Unit Link:
(some data may require optional features to work)

GPS data
EIS data
SL30 VOR/ILS data and frequency commands
SL40 frequency commands
ADS-B Traffic (weather does not transfer)
Navigation modes
Lateral/vertical/approach modes
Heading and course selects
Altitude select
Altimeter setting
Fuel Flow Fuel Remaining (when set by user)
Flight Plans and User Waypoints
Remote Analog Inputs
ARINC-429 VOR/ILS and GPS data
Dimmer
Clam

Post by Clam »

Thank you.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Post by Clam »

One more question...
Since I have HXr with legacy AHRS, which does not provide the AOA port for measured angle of attack, if I get the Mini AP or X with AoA option, it appears I would need to connect the Mini audio out pin 13 to the audio panel for AoA audio alerting? No Interlink function there?
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

AOA transfers over the display link.
Clam

Post by Clam »

From above ...
Serial outputs can usually be connected to 2 or 3 serial inputs.
... so I just splice the serial output from the GRT adapter (plugged into the Trig TT22) and connect that to the GRT Mini for the weather?

Where does the corresponding Mini serial out go? Spliced into the same serial pair I guess?

Also, is the Mini-X upgradable to a Mini-AP? Field upgrade or have to send back to GRT?

Thanks.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You can't get (ADS-B) traffic and weather from a TT22. The TT22 does not have a receiver. It is Out only. The traffic it receives is the old Mode S TIS radar uplink that is still working in some locations. To get ADS-B traffic/weather you would need a separate receiver with serial output like our Discovery ADS-B receiver, or a Stratux with serial adapter, or FlightBox with serial adapter, or a SkyRadar. For the ones with serial outputs you would splice the single serial output on the receiver to serial inputs on both screens. USB can't be shared and many of the older SkyRadars are USB-only.

There is usually not an output wire from an EFIS to an ADS-B receiver that only receives. Our Discovery ADS-B receiver is an exception because you can have one EFIS send GPS and AHRS data to it. You can almost never splice two serial outputs together (very few exceptions, like our servos).

The Mini-X can be field-upgraded to an AP.
Clam

Post by Clam »

Thanks, and my apologies ... I did not mean to reference the TT22. I have the FlightBox solution with the serial adapter . I was looking at a separate issue on the TT22 and inadvertently typed that into this thread. Sorry.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com