Approach Plate loading

New in 2019 this product is called the "10.1" after its screen size and is available in Horizon and Sport feature sets. This is not to be confused with an HXr although it shares similar features and graphics.
webutler

Approach Plate loading

Post by webutler »

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't know what. The result is that when I try and display an approach plate I get a message that there are no plate available.

I've got the 10.1" Horizon with Dual AHRS and IFR approach option, yesterday updated to software version 2.0.
USB loaded with the Seattle Avionics purchased charts and plates in the USB slot (even confirmed that there are plates via file manager on my laptop).

There is a setup to AUTO detect the sectionals as well as HI/LO charts if available on the USB drive, but I don't see any mention of such a setting for Plates in the documentation.

Note: My most recent testing was done INSIDE the hangar with intermittent at best GPS signal. I don't THINK that should affect the ability to select and display an approach plate, but I don't know for certain.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Can anyone share how they succeeded in using Seattle Avionics approach plates, especially in split-screen pfd/plate mode?

--Bill
webutler

Re: Approach Plate loading

Post by webutler »

Well I found a menu option about Plate Source which was set to AUTO. I toggled it to CHART DATA and then plates were detected and can be brought up. Toggling back to AUTO appeared to continue working.

I am hopeful that resolves the issue so I can work on getting better at the buttonology involved with both selecting, activating and approach, and displaying the approach plate. I feel confident it will seem easier with some practice. :D
GRT_Jeff

Re: Approach Plate loading

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Every time you try to list available plates the EFIS looks at the currently attached drive. In Auto mode it first looks for the "ChartData" folder and automatically uses the Seattle Avionics data when it sees that. If it doesn't find that then it tries to look for plate PDF files.

The EFIS can only handle one drive at a time and it will only access the first drive it sees. If you were using another drive for software updates or data logging it may have interfered with accessing the chart drive.