HSI Background

JimB

HSI Background

Post by JimB »

I have dual GRT Sport HS and Garmin GNS430. When shooting an approach I prefer to split the PFD screen to have the PFD and HSI. That way I can keep the map on the MFD and display XM Wx there. When I have this set up, the background map information displays with the HSI. For example, the Class C airspace ring, the runways in blue with their extended centerlines etc display as well as the HSI on the split screen PFD. It makes the HSI display pretty cluttered. Is there a way to get just the HSI on the split screen PFD and leave all the map info on the MFD?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
Europa XS

PS I really like the weekly hints - explains features and reminds me of features I should investigate:)
JimB

Re: HSI Background

Post by JimB »

I flew some approaches with Carlos yesterday and have worked out a system that works well for me.

I no longer change the PFD to split screen. I leave it as I usually have it so it is familiar and I know where to find information. I did add the ILS bars to the PFD but they only display when a ILS is tuned in on the 430.

I use the HSI on the MFD. Carlos suggested I turn off all the MAPs I don't use (all the ones with engine data at the bottom and the north up) so it is easy to toggle from HSI to ARC MAP or 360 MAP with XM if I want to see what the radar is showing. I set the range on the HSI pretty low - 5, 10 or 20 miles which declutters the background. This set up works well for shooting approaches.

He also suggested using the heading bug for assigned headings (which I had been doing) and also using the altitude bug for assigned altitudes and the Decision Altitude for the minimum decision height or minimum descent altitude. I'm doing that now and approaches are pretty easy.

Jim Butcher
JimB

Re: HSI Background

Post by JimB »

One other trick Carlos showed me.

When flying an ILS, once you have the needles centered, keep the flight path marker on the airport. This makes compensating for wind easy and makes keeping the needles centered easy.

Of course keeping the needles centered is the primary reference and requirement but the flight path marker is a very helpful and useful secondary reference.

Jim Butcher