Experience with Touchscreen on 10.1

New in 2019 this product is called the "10.1" after its screen size and is available in Horizon and Sport feature sets. This is not to be confused with an HXr although it shares similar features and graphics.
edstratford

Experience with Touchscreen on 10.1

Post by edstratford »

As with my other post about the Internal IFR, I'm asking for experience with the touchscreen option on the 10.1. A good discussion in the HXr on where the touchscreen is good and where buttons and knobs are better. (No arguments there.) In that thread, Jeff noted that there is no manual or demo for the touchscreen functions. At that point (Jan 2018),

"The current functions are: moving the map around by dragging, touching airports and waypoints on the map to get details or add/remove from the flight plan, modifying the leg between waypoints by dragging, and the autopilot touch control panel."

Is there any update on this? Any functions that are in the works?

Again, thanks in advance,

Ed
RV-7A
Bobturner

Re: Experience with Touchscreen on 10.1

Post by Bobturner »

Me again. I have no experience with the GRT touchscreen. However, I frequently fly right seat as a cfii in a local club’s aircraft with a Garmin 650. I very much dislike it. Of course I have to operate it with my left hand (I’m very right handed) but even so, and I do try to rest my hand on the little tray below it, I hit the wrong ‘button’ half the time. I prefer knobs.
webutler

Post by webutler »

I've got the touchscreen and admittedly rarely use the touchscreen portion. The knobs and buttons are extremely well engineered making their use almost intuitive and generally quite efficient. That said I have found using the touchscreen on the map to select an airport to add to the flight plan sometimes a lot easier than looking up and remembering the airport code and then entering it via knob/button. With some additional practice I suspect it will also help with adjusting autopilot settings.
That said you can probably live without it easy enough, but it's nice enough that I don't regret getting the option.
jclark

Post by jclark »

An interesting thing that I notice is that I like the touchscreen a LOT more on the ground than in the air!

Now, this is not a GRT problem, it is just that I realize that for a lot of things, I am so used to the buttons, I revert to them even though the touchscreen approach may have been better.

I fly with the "SPLIT" screen PFD. So when I touch the screen, I typically get an autopilot screen. Well, I am just as fast with the knobs, especially in bumpy air.

The touch is FAR MORE valuable in the full screen MAP. I seem to recall that I wish it did better when touching airspace because that is something that when you need to knw, you NEED TO KNOW NOW!

I can see where in the future, with a few software additions, it could become more of my "GO TO option".