EIS Aux Ports to Horizon 10.1

minnimo65757

EIS Aux Ports to Horizon 10.1

Post by minnimo65757 »

I'm having trouble with the Aux Ports on my EIS. Aux Port 1 is my manifold pressure it is set up as integer and the scale factor is 100 and the offset is 0 and it is set up as dial #1 on the EFIS and that dial has read 5.9 no matter what I do. Everything is set up for INHG.
Aux Port 2 is the Left fuel tank and Aux Port 3 is the Right fuel tank there is 18 gallons of fuel in both tanks. That is on the 3d dial on my EFIS the left tank reads 20 gal. and the left tank reads 12 gal. and the TTL reads 0 gal. Both Aux ports are set with scale factor 100 and offset 0. I haven't removed any fuel from the tanks to see if the quantities change, however they should both read the same even if they are wrong as both are set up exactly the same with the same parameters.
Aux Port 4 is going to the fuel pressure indicator on my EFIS it is set up with scale factor 100 and offset 0 but I cannot get any fuel pressure reading when I turn on my electric fuel pump.
So it seems to me that there is something that I have not done or have done wrong in setting up my EIS that has affected all of the Aux ports. The EIS looks like it is talking to the EFIS ok because I get readings on some things my Oil temp and CHT and EGT appear to be working as they should. I have an engine heater on my engine so there are temp readings that I get from the heat generated by the engine heater.
JimB

Re: EIS Aux Ports to Horizon 10.1

Post by JimB »

Hi,

Since you see OT, EGT and CHT, that indicates that the EIS is communicating with the EFIS. You can verify that by looking on the first setup page of the EFIS and noting which serial port is connected to the EIS and verify the counter is changing,

Do you see aux inputs changing on your EIS, ie does aux 4 change on the EIS when you run your fuel pumo? The others like Man Press and Fuel Qty probably are not changing unless you have a way to do that - ie blow into the man press sensor, move the arm on the fuel qty sender etc.

Senders from GRT usually come with the Scale Factor and Offset numbers to input into your EIS, manifold pressure does for sure and SF = 100 and offset don't sound correct. My GRT man sensor label says for 2 digit readout SF=45 and OFF=6 and for 3 digit readout SF=451 and OFF=58. I only use GRT man press sender so I don't have numbers for any others.

Have you done all the setup for the engine page? Look at the Legacy Sport SX Set Up guide. You have to do all these set ups for each gauge.

Keep us posted.

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Re: EIS Aux Ports to Horizon 10.1

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The scale factor 100 and offset 0 are the defaults. They aren't going to be meaningful. You have to enter the scale factor and offset for the sensor that's attached to the input. For fuel probes, you have to calibrate them.

If you have an EIS with LCD, the scale factors, offsets, and forward/reverse +/- sensing directions are set in the EIS. If you have a remote EIS model R66 then they are set in the EFIS. In either case the EFIS also needs to be told what function is on each Aux input.

Every GRT manifold pressure sensor has a 3-digit scale factor number and an offset number written on the box. You have to enter these numbers to make it read an actual pressure.

Documentation for our fuel pressure senders is on our web site. Some have charts based on the type of sender and what pressure range you need. These give you the scale factor and offset. It should still change with pressure though. Most fuel pressure senders require a resistor in the circuit so make sure the correct resistor is installed.
Pressure sensors
Sensor documentation is also available on the engine monitor product page in the Sensor Documentation section:
EIS R66 product page

Resistive fuel probes require calibration. The difference you see could be a small difference in the probes or circuit. At a scale factor of 100, a difference of 8 (integer) is 0.2 volts. To know if they are working you would have to change the amount of fuel enough to make the probe move. This document shows the basic full/empty calibration:
https://grtavionics.com/media/Resistive ... rs-EIS.pdf

It's also possible to use the Fuel Data Scale tables in the EFIS. This document talks about that. This document uses the EFIS analog inputs but it doesn't matter where they are connected.
https://grtavionics.com/media/Resistive ... orizon.pdf