HSI configuration for CDI

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
recapen

HSI configuration for CDI

Post by recapen »

I finally got my Mini-AP up and running as a replacement for my Century NSD1000 (the gyro died).

Primary use will be as a HSI replacement - but I'll learn glass stuff from the other features.
The Mini-AP will correctly drive my S-Tec-30 Autopilot through the S-Tec GPSS adapter - yay!

The Mini-AP is connected through the ARINC adapter to my Garmin 420W and the counters on the ARINC Adapter input increment as specified.

I am not seeing any CDI displayed on the HSI page - the Garmin 420W does an initialization test where it provides a "TO", half left, and half up indication - which I see on my backup AFS unit - but not in the Mini-AP.
I'm hoping I have missed a configuration setting to enable the CDI from the 420W / ARINC source - would be a great disappointment for this function to not work after all this....

Any pointers to configuration for the HSI - or tell me where it is in the X manual - we really need an AP manual....

Thanks in Advance,
Ralph Capen
recapen

Re: HSI configuration for CDI

Post by recapen »

Got some good info from Jeff - won't waste the bandwidth here - you can e-mail me if you're interested in specific portions.

Thanks,
Ralph
recapen

More HSI configuration questions

Post by recapen »

In my unit I have the NAV settings come up when I press one of the softkey buttons.
It shows HDG, ENAV, and GNAV (greyed out).
I know to use HDG when I want the Autopilot to track the heading bug.
What are the other two used for and does the GNAV become active under certain conditions?

Thanks,
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

The choices you are looking at are for the autopilot, not the HSI. The HSI pointer and cdi bar should show whatever you've selected as your nav source (nav1, gps1, etc). Up to two other nav sources will be shown as RMI needles, pointing to the 'station', IF selected in the set up menu. As to autopilot choices: as you said, heading means the autopilot will track the heading bug. ENAV means the autopilot will track the primary nav source (selected as above). GNAV only works, I think, with ifr GPS navigators. In this mode it passes thru the ARINC commands from the GPS directly to the autopilot. This is useful because the GPS boxes can do some things that the ENAV will not. For example, procedure turns. Once on final the box will auto switch from GNAV to ENAV.
So I think (but may be wrong!) that GNAV will be grayed out unless you have an ifr approved gps hooked in thru an ARINC connection. Since you do have these things, there must be something mis-configured. I think you can use the HX manual to check on configuration info, I'd be surprised if they are different.
Edit: I re-read your post. In GNAV the GPS commands are sent directly to the autopilot via ARINC. I'm not sure an older S-Tec can read those commands. So you may be limited to ENAV for basic course tracking. But the GPS data should display on your HSI.
recapen

Post by recapen »

Thanks - that makes sense. I have a Garmin 430W and SL-30 set up as GPS1 and NAV2. I was inside the hangar so the Garmin might not have 'seen' satellites to get a fix and should 'un-grey' when I'm outside. I'll try the GNAV as a pass through and the ENAV based on other selections. I have switches to run the S-TEC 30 direct from the 430W or from the Mini-AP. My S-Tec 30 has an ARINC adapter and is part of the switch I just mentioned. Pretty sure that it works - just didn't know how. The HDG feature does drive the S-TEC 30 through the ARINC Adapter - but the programming is a little off - the first up to 160 degrees of a turn are driven at standard rate - the last 20 degrees take forever as it goes to half rate then quarter rate...

Again thanks - more testing and learning as I convert avgas to noise, altitude, and airspeed!
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

If you put the SL30 nav into monitor mode (press and hold NAV button for a few seconds) with a VOR frequency in the standby window, the bearing to that second VOR should show up on the HSI display as an RMI needle.
recapen

Post by recapen »

Thanks - I will add that to my list of stuff to try out on my next flight!

Great features in the SL-30!