Login    Register
  • Author
USB GPS

Postby Clam » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm

I have a USB WAAS GPS left over from an Open Flight Solutions FlightBox device. Was wondering if a USB GPS device like this can be read by the HXr system through a USB port, and if so, any guidance for set-up. I currently keep a USB drive in one USB port for data/logbook download and a bluetooth dongle in the other USB port.

If this device will provide the HXr with GPS data, could I add a 2 port hub to one of the HXr ports, or would it need to directly into one of the 2 ports?

Thanks.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Re: USB GPS

Postby Bobturner » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:15 pm

I use a Skyradar D2, with its own gps, to feed adsb-in data to my Hx via USB. The Hx does see the gps data (I labeled it gps2). So it is possible.
Bobturner

Postby Clam » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:39 am

Thanks Bob. Thought I might as well plug the little bugger in and see what happens as it is just gathering dust on a shelf. Maybe it'll come in handy when my Garmin 430W goes on the blink. Nevermind that in 10+ years the 430W hasn't so much as farted even once. My ADS-B in is via FlightBox but I used their serial connector to the HXr and also Wi-Fi it to an iPad mini.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Postby GRT_Jeff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:35 am

We haven't programmed the EFIS to look for plain GPS data on USB inputs. The EFIS currently only looks for ADS-B receivers and XM WX receivers on USB, and only when those are turned on in General Setup.
GRT_Jeff

Postby Clam » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Ah, ok. Then since I have the ADS-B in wired to a serial pin, I will attempt to have HXr utilize the GPS portion of that stream through serial, as Bob is doing through his USB. Thanks, that saves me some time.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Return to IFR GPS