Horizon 10.1 install

New in 2019 this product is called the "10.1" after its screen size and is available in Horizon and Sport feature sets. This is not to be confused with an HXr although it shares similar features and graphics.
minnimo65757

Horizon 10.1 install

Post by minnimo65757 »

Am I the only one that has the Horizon 10.1 to install? Hopefully there are others out there that I can lean on during this install. I am installing in my RV7A the Horizon 10.1 with a Garmin GPS 175 navigator, TRIG T22 remote transponder, a VAL 2000 Nav radio, and a stand alone VAL INS429. Also I have a TruTrak Gemini auto pilot, and the ARINC 429 module, and the EIS4000 engine monitoring system. I have 2 Microair M760Q comm radios that I will hook up through a PS Engineering PMA4000 audio panel. So needless to say getting all this to play nice with each other is a head scratchier, but it all should work according to all the manufactures. So if anybody out there has any good advice or tips I am ready to hear them.
Bobturner

Re: Horizon 10.1 install

Post by Bobturner »

Glad to see you made it onboard!
Make certain that when you wire up the Garmin gps that you include an extra shielded wire connected to a spare RS232 out port. You’ll need this to go to the TT22 for ADSB-out.
Bob
minnimo65757

Post by minnimo65757 »

Thanks Bob
minnimo65757

Post by minnimo65757 »

Is there a publication anywhere that explains a lot of the terminology that is used in the wiring of the GPS navigators, and EFIS systems. For a amateur it get pretty confusing. Sometimes a unit has a RS232 pinout or a serial pinout and it can be RX or TX and I understand that but sometimes it only goes one way it will be out but there will be no in, is that normal that a serial port will work with only an output wire? I come from the communications environment and everything had to have a TX and corresponding RX. So a book or something that explains the principal behind all the interactions between the different components would help.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

I’ll try to answer a bit. First, while most of the GRT equipment has RS232 hardware with in and out pairs, it doesn’t have to be that way. For example, I have an SL30 nav-com. It has an RS232-out port, and I use it to send nav data to my GRT Hx. The SL30 also has a RS232-in port, which I could use to send nav frequency data from the Hx to the SL30. But that doesn’t interest me, so I didn’t even wire it up. The SL30 could just have the -out port, for all I care. You might learn some if you page thru the on-line ‘installation’ and ‘set-up’ manuals for the Hx. I know there’s a lot of pages. RS232 data just sends numbers, it needs to know a ‘format’ to interpret them. For a made-up example, maybe the number in spaces 7 - 15 is 2992. The rx needs to know the format to interpret it. If Alpha format says 7-15 is baro setting, the box will know it’s 29.92 in of Hg. But if Beta format expects spaces 7-15 to be indicated altitude, the box will interpret that data to be 2,992 feet. So it’s important that out and in use the same format. There are a zillion different formats. Some are ‘open’, or public domain, everyone knows them. Others (example, Garmin’s ‘ADSB+’ format) are proprietary, a company secret. GRT cannot read ADSB+. (Some non-Garmin companies may have reverse-engineered it). Now here’s where it can get really complicated: sometimes you can use different formats for Tx and Rx, as long as the only data you want is common to both, and in the same location, You need to follow the manuals to figure this out! Finally, ARINC is different. Not only does it use a dedicated return line (always connect A out to A in, and same for B), every piece of data is also labeled. So a single ‘out’ pair can go to multiple ‘in’ pairs. Each input can just find and use (because the data is all labeled) whatever data it needs.
minnimo65757

Post by minnimo65757 »

Thanks Bob I have been reading all of my installation manuals and some of it is getting a little more understandable. I do have a Garmin 175 as my wass gps source and will need to hook it up to the GRT horizon and my transponder if their format is propitiatory how will I do that
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The GPS175 has multiple RS232 outputs. You will configure one output for the "Aviation Output 1" format to send to the GRT Horizon and probably TruTrak. The "Aviation" format is published and well-known. You will configure another output for "ADS-B+ Format 1" to send to the TT22 GPS Input.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I just posted some wiring and configuration notes for the GPS175 in the compatible equipment forum: http://grtavionics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3215
minnimo65757

Post by minnimo65757 »

Thanks Jeff I’ll look at those
minnimo65757

Post by minnimo65757 »

The Horizon 10.1 has a connection for a warning light, and my EIS has a warning light also. Are these lights a duplicate or do the serve different functions.