External autopilot?

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
rv7charlie

External autopilot?

Post by rv7charlie »

I've had a Mini GA (plus external magnetometer) interfaced with an HX, and the HX sending nav info to a Trio EZPilot. I've just sold the HX in anticipation of upgrading. Can I use the now-available serial port to drive the Trio autopilot? The GA manual mentions that it isn't allowed to output to other devices in a certified a/c, but doesn't mention if the feature is available when installed in a homebuilt.

Thanks,
Charlie
GRT_Jeff

Re: External autopilot?

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Yes. The Mini GA can output GPS and flight plan information for an autopilot GPS input using NMEA0183 or Aviation format by setting a serial output to "Autopilot (NMEA0183)" or "Autopilot (Aviation)". You also have to set the serial rate. Aviation format is always 9600 baud. Some devices want NMEA0183 at 4800 baud but it can also be 9600.

If you use NMEA0183 format, you may need to turn off "APGPS NMEA0183 Passthru" in SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance for the Trio to show correct magnetic tracks.
rv7charlie

Post by rv7charlie »

Thanks, Jeff. Starting to move wires now. Is there any way to get ADSB traffic to display on the GA? I had my Echo UAT talking to the HX. I assume that I can't configure the 'in' half of the serial port for ADSB-in. If I delete the remote magnetometer, could I get ADSB data into the other serial port?
rv7charlie

Post by rv7charlie »

Wups; never mind. Found the ADSB answer as soon as I went into the menus on the GA.