Upgrading to aural warnings

New in 2019 this product is called the "10.1" after its screen size and is available in Horizon and Sport feature sets. This is not to be confused with an HXr although it shares similar features and graphics.
jlmeg

Upgrading to aural warnings

Post by jlmeg »

Good afternoon,

First time poster here. I'm just a pilot- not a builder or engineer. So, excuse my ignorance in advance. I've had my RV-7A with the Horizon 10.1 for over a year and would like to have aural warnings, particularly regarding AOA. The aircraft does not have aural warnings of any kind now. I believe it's not hooked up. Where should I start? I have neither the ability or experience to get "into" the panel unless the fix is very, very simple.

Thanks,
Joel
GRT_Jeff

Re: Upgrading to aural warnings

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The 10.1 has audio output pins in one of the D-sub connectors. Usually these wires have not been installed unless the builder has installed them or someone told their installer to install them. Wires have to be installed into the Connector "B" 25-pin D-sub on the back of the 10.1 display and then connected to the audio system. Some audio systems have stereo inputs and "Lo" grounds so you would have 3 wires to connect. Some only have a mono aux audio pin and no dedicated Lo/ground audio pin so they would only connect the Right audio wire.

B25 Audio Output Ground/Lo (only connect to other dedicated audio grounds/Lo)
B24 Right Audio Output (or mono)
B11 Left Audio Output (connect if audio system has a Left input)
jlmeg

Post by jlmeg »

Hi, Jeff-

Were you at the GRT booth at Sun N Fun? I think out paths crossed there. Thank you kindly for the reply. Honestly, I was looking at the technical part of your reply like a dog looking at a TV screen. I would need “a guy” with the know how and experience to upgrade my equipment. Any recomendations? Or a direction to start? Have plane. Will travel.

Thanks-
Joel
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Joel,
For better or worse you now own an experimental airplane. This job is really simple, but you can always take it to an avionics shop and pay them. Are you anywhere near San Francisco? If yes come to LVK and I’ll show you how to do this in just a few minutes. I have d-sub pins, a crimper, and wire. That’s all that’s needed.
Bob
jlmeg

Post by jlmeg »

Thank you kindly for the reply. I’m based in south Florida. Will you be at OSH this year?
-J
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

No OSH for me. Too many people!
Find out where the nearest EAA chapter is, join it if it’s close. You’ll meet local people who like to help, someone there will surely know how to do this job. Also simple things like changing the oil/oil filter, cleaning gapping spark plugs, etc. The chapter may have some tools members can use (it’s generally considered bad form to ask to borrow someone’s personal tools).
Alternatively, if you care to post your email address, and also the make/model of your audio panel (assuming you have one), I will gladly send you step by step instructions for the audio output.
jclark

Post by jclark »

jlmeg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:44 am Thank you kindly for the reply. I’m based in south Florida. Will you be at OSH this year?
-J
Have you solved this matter yet?

I am a bit closer in SC (KCUB) and may be able to help. I have set up aural warnings using various GRT equipment over time.

James