Free flight Explorer

Ag9a

Free flight Explorer

Post by Ag9a »

I spoke with Free flight regarding the Explorer model.
I asked how it would intergrate with the EFIS and or IPAD.

Apparently they are coming up with a solution to do both.
Existing is a hardwire to the EFIS and a blue tooth connection
Is being developed for the IPAD. The unit will have dual output.
Interesting!
All we need now is for this unit to tie in with an affordable WAAS GPS to accomplish both
ADS-b in and out.
katieb

Re: Free flight Explorer

Post by katieb »

The FreeFlight option is great if you want a certified system. If you want to use the XPLORER for traffic, you will need an ADS-B OUT system approved by FreeFlight, which is big bucks.

I've been investigating ADS-B options for our customers and I still think the Radenna SkyRadar-D is the best value for HX, SX and HXr EFIS users. It communicates to the EFIS via USB and will also communicate with iPad via WiFi. This works now for $849. Our VFR WAAS GPS (our "standard" GPS) will work with a 1090ES transponder for ADS-B Out and the full traffic package as well. (Our GPS is not "compliant" but you don't need to be compliant until 2020, and by then we should have an affordable certified ADS-B compliant GPS option.) SkyRadar-D is also DUAL-BAND, so you'll receive 1090 MHz ADS-B positions directly from aircraft broadcasting with 1090ES transponders, as well as 978 MHz UAT signals from the towers and less-common UAT transmitters.

HS and WS EFIS users need RS-232 data imput from their ADS-B receivers, so the NavWorx or XPLORER would be their best option. The NavWorx ADS600-B is a total In-Out package (noncompliant but working toward TSO certification) and has worked for several years with GRT equipment. However I don't think it does WiFi.
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008